Robin Williams RIP

carver 07:40 12 Aug 2014

Just seen this about Robin Williams and can't help thinking about all that talent that's gone with him.

But depression is a very nasty thing and if you have never had it think yourself one of the lucky ones.

chub_tor 09:41 12 Aug 2014

I am one of the lucky ones, twice over - thankfully I have never suffered from depression and I have seen Robin Williams in a live show in Austin Texas. He was a great screen actor, both on TV and the big screen but his live shows were a laugh a minute. In his live show he held the audience spellbound for over 2 hours with jokes and monologues, stories of his life as a boy growing up, his big break when he was plucked off the street when he was earning pennies as a mimic by working the queues outside films and shows and his life working with some of the Hollywood greats. An evening not to be missed and as the title above says RIP, long will I remember you.

spuds 10:56 12 Aug 2014

I remember Robin Williams from the days of Mork and Mindy, and he seemed to get even more better over time in some of the star roles he played.

It seems that quite a number of celebrities suffer from periods of deep depression, and some of those are fairly new to the industry. An extract from one of his Mork and Mindy scenes click here

Aitchbee 17:43 12 Aug 2014

I can epathise with the suffering that Williams went thru', due to his depression, but on the other hand, I 'got' nearly all of his humour.

Goodbye Robin.

Aitchbee 17:52 12 Aug 2014

empathize!

Forum Editor 18:10 12 Aug 2014

I think there's a widespread feeling of sadness about this. Robin Williams was that rare combination of a great actor and a comedian. People like him are very few and far between.

Great talent and depression/addiction so often go hand-in-hand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?