Road Rage!

irishrapter 17:05 03 Dec 2006

Like myself I’m sure there are other users on this forum that have been involved in a little bit of road rage at sometime in their life.
You may have gotten mad at someone who is driving so close to your rear end that you can see their nose hairs, or just simply bad driving.

What I would like to do is to fit my car with front and rear cameras connected to a hard drive recording system.
I know it’s not cheap but it maybe worth it. Anyone know any good sites that sell the above equipment? I have been on a few, just making sure I don’t miss any!

If you did record some driving offences and passed this information onto the police, would they do anything?
Would people stop driving too close to your rear end if they could see a warning notice on your rear window telling them of the cameras?

What are your opinions on this?

Failing that I might get this for my back window… click here

Two of them in Red may scare them off!!!

oresome 17:22 03 Dec 2006

"Would people stop driving too close to your rear end if they could see a warning notice on your rear window telling them of the cameras?"

I suspect they'd drive closer to read the message.

sunny staines 18:09 03 Dec 2006

displaying lights of various colours, dimensions, positions etc are covered by traffic laws check your not breaking the law before fitting.

ed-0 18:36 03 Dec 2006

Many, many years ago my daughter used to leave her, early learning center, police mans helmet in the rear of the car. It was surprising on how many idiots belting up behind you to tail gate you, suddenly eased right back. Also if you were doing 75 up the motorway, not many went past you.

It took me awhile to work out why they were backing off. I kept the helmet in the car for quite awhile.

TonyV 19:04 03 Dec 2006

If the tail-gating happens in the day time, a simple way of frightening them is to switch your side lights on and accelerate. They think you are breaking and, hopefully, apply their brakes. It actually works quite well. The only problem is that there are a lot more cars now that tend to drive with some lighting on during the day. But at least it will help other people!!

TonyV

spuds 19:45 03 Dec 2006

TonyV

The only problem with doing what you have suggested, is if the vehicle behind slams their brakes on, and the vehicle behind that, and the vehicle behind that doesn't. Ever heard of a 3-4 car pile-up!.

In the meantime, the first vehicle may have long gone. But if witness's saw this action, then you will most likely face a prosecution charge.

One method that I find works. Install a photo camera in the rear or front window, on a mini tripod. If you use a long cable to activate the shutter, then you have evidence (do not use a flash, under any circumstances).

If someone is driving dangerously, then take the vehicles details,time of incident including description of driver, and you can file a report at a police station.Best to have a witness.Do not drive yourself, in a manner that may cause the other driver to take immediate action. You may come of far worse, in a situation like this.

TonyV 19:53 03 Dec 2006

I must confess, the only time I have done it is when looking in the rear view mirror all you can see is the tail-gater, none behind him/her and no-one in front of me, in which case, it does tend to make them back off or scream past and thereby alleviating the problem.

TonyV

TonyV 19:57 03 Dec 2006

Incidentally, it is very difficult to take all the details you suggest when driving along an open road with no where readily available to park for you to scribe all the details!

TonyV

onokeck 23:34 03 Dec 2006

We experience this problem quite frequently here in rural Suffolk. Something I have made note of is this (and please let's not get into a "sexist" argument on the matter); it seems that in about 75% of "tailgating" incidents it is women drivers and usually they are driving the "off-roaders". There seems to be something about driving these "monsters", be it man or woman, that makes them feel superior and more secure than other road users.Check it out the next time you are "tailgated" - you will see what I mean. Incidentally, the best response is this - pull over when safe to do so and let the silly buggers get on with it! It's not worth the hassle. Casey

Chris the Ancient 10:17 04 Dec 2006

I agree, tailgating is one of the most proliferate bits of bad driving around - and, in some cases can be very intimidating.

I teach driving to all levels; and, with learners in particular, this is one of their biggest fears. There are many ideas of solutions - including the dab of the brake pedal or switching on of sidelights - but this can have the nugatory effect of making the following driver even more impatient and aggressive.

There is only one safe solution. You have to ease back (gently) and increase the distance between you and the vehicle in front to leave space to do the braking for you and the following driver. Then, as soon as possible, provide a safe opportunity to let them pass. Then, at least, they're not intimidating you. And sit there with the smug satisfaction that you're safe, the prat that was behind is more visible now that they are in front, and, most importantly, they aren't really going to get to their destination that much quicker anyway.

Also, as casey says, if it's in a more rural environment and you are enjoying tootling along in a nice gentle manner, find that opportunity to pull in or ease over to let them past.

Being relaxed and composed at the wheel, and not letting yourself be stressed is the safest way to drive and arrive.

And if you're really suffering from evil thoughts, they aren't doing much for their heart rate and blood pressure and will soon be off sick with stress-related illness.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone