The Road to Hell!

ukpostcode 13:58 01 Dec 2010

Last night it took 4.5hrs to travel just 20 miles due to the snow.
In fact at one stage it took 1.5 hrs to move a mile!
And not a gritter or snow plough in sight!!

Been abroad to countries that have cold/snow most years and they seem to manage ok, so why not the UK or was it the wrong type of snow!!!

Rant over;-)

uk-wizard 14:02 01 Dec 2010

The gritters couldn't get through - cos you were in the way!

dagbladet 14:03 01 Dec 2010

Ah the old "why can Scandinavia cope with -30 and 6 feet of snow a day and UK grinds to a halt at the merest sign of a snowflake?" chestnut. Not had this one for...oh...must be 2 hours now.

michaelw 14:54 01 Dec 2010

I thought you were on about the M25 in Chris Rea's song.

Big L 266 15:05 01 Dec 2010

Hello.

Great track michaelw! So is Russ Conways' 'Snow Coach'!

Big L 266

Cymro. 15:21 01 Dec 2010

Perhaps we should ask our-self if our journey is really necessary. Is it worth all the heartache and risk? I doubt it very much. Even the aggravation of just a minor shunt is bother that we can do without. And don`t say that you have to get in to work, because there are very few people who really have to get in to work. Life is too short, just go back to bed and try to keep warm.

Kevscar1 16:30 01 Dec 2010

Cymro
please get real. no work = no wages and in our case even one day off for my wife leaves us really struggling. She had to have an unpaid day last month to take me to hospital. Result bouced DD at end of month.

interzone55 16:59 01 Dec 2010

"And don`t say that you have to get in to work, because there are very few people who really have to get in to work"

Few companies will pay wages for staff who don't turn in because of the snow. We have to take it as a days holiday or we don't get paid, and at this time of year almost everyone has taken their year's holiday.

I'm lucky, I only live three miles or so from work, so I can walk in, some people in my office have a 50 mile each way commute...

Forum Editor 17:09 01 Dec 2010

most years and they seem to manage ok, so why not the UK or was it the wrong type of snow!!!"

The very fact that the countries you mention have snow most years and we seldom have much should answer your question - they're used to it, and we're not.

morddwyd 21:07 01 Dec 2010

Lady on the news the other night who could beat that.

At one time she was at a road sign that said "Perth 4 miles"

13 hours later she (and those behind and in front of her in the queue) still hadn't got there.

Bingalau 22:32 01 Dec 2010

These countries that are used to having more snow than us, also throw more money at the problem. If we had the regular amount of snow that they had we would do likewise. But to spend out millions of pounds on expensive snow shifting machinery, that will stand idle for 50 weeks of the year is just not sensible or feasible.

Didn't we go through all this discussion last year?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires