Ripoff…uh France??

SimpleSimon1 11:56 07 Apr 2010

A quick heads-up for anyone taking the car over to France in the near future. Just got back from a quick weekend in Burgundy and discovered that the autoroute Service Station owners (at least on the A26, A4 and A31) have obviously been taking some lessons from their English counterparts!

For a long time, fuel prices on the autoroutes have been, more or less, pretty comparable with the those at local petrol stations. However, last weekend, on the autoroutes, lead-free was being punted for anything up to 1.50 Euros/litre (as opposed to a price of around 1.26 Euros/l off the autoroute). It’s a bit more civilised if you’re looking for diesel (around 1.25 Euros/l on the autoroute, as opposed to around 1.14 Euros/l locally) but it was still a bit of a surprise.

Guess the global downturn is hitting everybody these days but you would have though a service station on a toll road would be somewhat immune

anchor 12:54 07 Apr 2010

I have extensively toured France for many years and, unlike you, always found the autoroute service station prices noticeably higher than the supermarkets, which I normally use.

Perhaps not quite the difference you quoted, but I always avoided them. The in-town stations prices were mostly a little above the supermarkets.

Supermarket prices do vary, but mostly Carrefour was as good as any. My tank takes 60 litres, so one fill-up keeps me going for quite a while.

Finally, if you were recently only paying 1.26euros per litre for lead free 95, you were getting a real bargain!.

Looking today at the official French government site of fuel prices for the Burgundy region 1.31 euros/l was the cheapest I could see. This rose to 1.46 in some outlets.

The official French fuel price site is here:

click here

Bon Route!

interzone55 13:02 07 Apr 2010

You've just confirmed what I long suspected.

Fuel prices are pretty much the same across the board.

€1.31/l is around £1.20/l

anchor 13:21 07 Apr 2010

Typical best average price for SP95, seems to be about 1.35€/l.

SimpleSimon1 13:34 07 Apr 2010

"The official French fuel price site is here"

Like you, I've been touring France for many years but I've never come across that site before. Nice find....marked!

"if you were recently only paying 1.26euros per litre for lead free 95, you were getting a real bargain!"

Little back street garage in Rheims. Diesel was 1.11 Euros/l

anchor 14:48 07 Apr 2010

I only checked the prices in Burgundy.

Congratulations of finding that garage in Rheims; like me you are always on the look out for a bargain.

I was in Calais a week ago and it was about 1.34€/l.

Glad you find the French official price site useful. It`s a pity the UK government don`t have something similar.

I have been told that France does not have road tax; the tax is on the fuel. The rationale is that the more you drive the more tax you pay. Here we get stung for both.

SimpleSimon1 15:02 07 Apr 2010

"Congratulations of finding that garage in Rheims; like me you are always on the look out for a bargain."

I'd love to say it was intended....however, I was ratrunning through the suburbs trying to avoid godawful traffic problems caused by roadworks on the edge of Rheims, at the A26/A4 intersection :-)

"I have been told that France does not have road tax; the tax is on the fuel. The rationale is that the more you drive the more tax you pay. Here we get stung for both."

But, for a long time, French fuel prices have been much lower than UK fuel prices. Since our prices have a very high tax component, if what you were told was correct, how could the French signficantly tax fuel and still be cheaper than us?

Chegs ®™ 15:29 07 Apr 2010

Over 40yrs ago we used to drive across France having filled-up in the UK before joining the ferry without stopping for petrol as my parents insisted their fuel prices were higher than ours(my Dad once ran out of fuel as we were descending a pass from the border with Andorra and hitched a lift to a petrol station in Andorra even though we had passed a nearer station just before the border crossing)My Mother now lives in southern Spain,but still tries to cross France on a single tank as their fuel is "more expensive than even the UK" was the explanation to my question as to why she'd never stopped when I shared the driving with her,a few years ago.

Boghound 14:09 08 Apr 2010

Diesel here is €1.08....SP95 is €1.23

Bingalau 15:09 08 Apr 2010

Boghound. Where is "here"?

anchor 16:22 08 Apr 2010

As I recall, it is a few years since the price of petrol was noticeably less in France.

I remember the happy days when £1 bought 10 French francs, which is the equivalent to 1.52€. As I recall, when the € was first introduced the initial exchange rate was about 1.5€ = £1. Now, you`re lucky to get 1.10€.

Going back some years in the past, petrol was significantly dearer in France, and most us of left filling up until arriving in Dover.

Why the difference in taxes?; perhaps the French government to not regard the motorist quite so much of a Milk Cow to be bled dry.

At the present exchange, SP95 in France is currently about £1.238/l. My local station in the UK wants £1.209, and on top of that I have to pay £200/year road tax. (If I decided to replace it new, with the same model, the first years road tax would be a staggering £300).

Tax, Tax, and more Tax.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017