Right of way

JoE. 20:12 13 Dec 2006

While walking home, on the pavement, from college this evening, I saw a cyclist coming towards me at quite some speed. I refused to make clear which way I would divert to allow him to pass, as I am sure it is he who should make way for me, as a pedestrian.
He continued to come towards me, only applying his (rather squeaky) brakes at the last second, causing him to wobble a bit and have to put his feet down to stabilise himself. He then proceeded to slowly pass me, muttering something as he did so. Surely his energy would have been better spent cycling down to the local Halfords and getting himself a reflective jacket and some lights? Or is it just me being fussy?

JoE

Jackcoms 20:20 13 Dec 2006

His energy would have been better spent cycling on the road.

You could have pointed out to this prat that it has been illegal to cycle on the pavement since 1835 and do so can attract a £20 fine.

rezeeg 20:21 13 Dec 2006

I sympathise JoE, but I think you're fighting a losing battle.

I now let these cretins pass as the law doesn't seem interested and the aggro's not worth it.

[email protected] 20:22 13 Dec 2006

What has a reflective jacket and lights got to do with who has right of way on the pavement? You obviously had no problem seeing him.

As for who has right of way, if the pavement is for both pedestrians and cyclists then I would assume it's a 2 way thing. One of you moves to one side and the other person to the other rather than the arrogant I'm not moving attitude.

If the pavement ran alongside a road and wasn't a designated cycle path then he should have been on the road.

chocolate cake 20:26 13 Dec 2006

It seems the government are accepting the use of pavements by bicycles too. click here

Damned if I know why though. The majority of people that I see riding on pavements are supposed hard cases. Surely they're not worried about a little traffic?

JoE. 20:27 13 Dec 2006

Jackcoms - Exactly my thinking, he wasn't a little prat either, he must have been at least thirty.

[email protected] - All I could see was a silhouette of something moving towards me at great pace provided by a nearby street lamp. It's the kind of pavement that a pensioner may trip up on, and it ran along side a road.

JoE :o)

Jackcoms 20:28 13 Dec 2006

"if the pavement is for both pedestrians and cyclists"

Read my post of 20:20.

The pavement has NEVER been a 'shared facility'.

Cyclists are required to use the road or a designated cycle path.

Jak_1 20:31 13 Dec 2006

They think they are above the law! They have no concern for the pedestrians safety nor for other road users (when they actualy use the road). I had one idiot today whilst I was driving home. I was waiting to turn left at a set of lights that were one red. The cyclist ignored the lights , turned left nearl colliding with a car going through a green light! After the lights changed in my favour I duly turned left and a short while later came across said cyclist again who then cut me up by turning right without signaling it's intention causing me to brake suddenly. Fortunately the car behind me was was at a safe distance. The cyclist then sped off as if nothing had happened!
Seems it is ok for cyclists to flout the law on the road but hey, woe betide you if you hit them because of their arrogance and stupidity.

[email protected] 20:33 13 Dec 2006

There are pavements and alleyways where I live that have signs showing that they are for use by both pedestrians and cyclists

Jackcoms 20:36 13 Dec 2006

Using the same space or divided by a white line?

If it's the same space you might want to let your local Council jobsworths know that they are encouraging cyclists to break the law (have a look at the Highway Code).

[email protected] 20:39 13 Dec 2006

The ones that run along side the road are divided by a line but there are many alleyways (some quite narrow too) that are for both cyclists and pedestrians and those are not divided

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?