Riddle of the Sands Film

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:29 01 Sep 2013
Answered

Bingalu (hope your OK not seen you on the forum for awhile?) posted a thread about an Good Read, awhile ago.

The book, Riddle of the Sands, was talked about a lot.

I noticed that the film will be shown on C4 at 1305 on Tuesday for any one interested. Not everyone is a reader.

I like to compare films with the book but is very rare I seen a film that is better, in my opinion, than the book.

Forum Editor 11:51 01 Sep 2013
Answer

"The book, Riddle of the Sands, was talked about a lot."

Mostly be me, I think. I said it had been voted one of the best spy novels of the 20th century, although it isn't exactly an easy read.

The film is excellent - one of the rare examples where what appears on the screen is as good as the book. It's worth watching for the look of it alone - it's beautifully shot, and a Jenny Agutter is easy on the eye. If you like sailing-boats and a good spy story it's a must-see.

Chronos the 2nd 12:36 01 Sep 2013

Good as this film maybe, it,like virtually every film that is shown on TV these days has been shown countless times previously.

Woolwell 15:47 01 Sep 2013

I read the book after the reviews on this site and was disappointed as I did not think that it had aged well. The film could be better and will try to watch it.

Forum Editor 17:08 01 Sep 2013

Woolwell

On view of what you said about the book I think you may like the film better.

wee eddie 21:16 01 Sep 2013

I think that the book suffers from its rather dated, Rider Haggard style. In fact '39 Steps' suffers from a similar problem.

Both have benefited from the attentions of a modern Script Writer who does not attempt to take the piss out of a period piece.

Aitchbee 22:02 01 Sep 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed [ as a schoolboy ] the early 60's TV adaptation of the classic novel, " The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe. " and, have since [then] read the 'original' and listened to an audiobook, [ a shortened abridged version, ] read by the actor Tom Baker, and verily, may I say ... the different versions of Daniel Defoe's masterpiece, all compliment each other, I reckon.

... not so sure about 'The Hobbit' on the big screen, though.

michaelw 09:58 05 Sep 2013

I started to watch it then dozed off. Sorry, I prefer films like 'Went the Day Well' et al.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires