Rich beyond the dreams of Alice...

Jim Thing 11:32 26 Apr 2010

It seems I've just won two million dollars in a Price [sic] Draw organised by Toyota. A nice man took the trouble to e-mail me in English (well almost) to give me the good news.

I feel the least I can do is celebrate by sharing it with FE and the kindred spirits on this forum, so if you'd kindly let me have your bank details via the yellow envelope I guarantee that you'll get a mighty surprise in the very near future.

Oh damn! I've just noticed that the nice man wants me to keep the whole thing secret — and now I've gome and told you lot. I suppose that's buggered the whole thing...

Jim Thing 11:35 26 Apr 2010

"gome" = "gone"

(You can tell I'm all excited...)

kidsis 13:34 26 Apr 2010

I was about to ask if you were married but if you can't spell 'gone' it would never work.

spikeychris 10:48 27 Apr 2010

I don't care if you can spell gone!

Jim Thing 11:09 27 Apr 2010

That's very kind of you, Chris ...

...but I'm an evil-tempered old git in the mornings...

Grey Goo 12:32 27 Apr 2010

Who's Alice

Jim Thing 14:09 27 Apr 2010

That's a family joke. One of my daughters once misheard someone use the quotation "rich beyond the dreams of avarice" and asked "Who's Alice?"

You're not one of my daughters — are you?

lotvic 23:39 27 Apr 2010

(as long as you don't want a DNA test)

ronalddonald 07:02 28 Apr 2010

Jimmy Did ya enter the competition or is it one of those scam things

Jim Thing 08:55 28 Apr 2010

ronalddonald:
It's 'one of those scam things'* which would have been more convincing if the e-mail had been written in decent English...

* At least I hope it's a scam. If it isn't I've just turned down two million dollars, a marriage proposal and a new daughter.

Grey Goo 10:29 29 Apr 2010

Only at weekends these days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?