Rich beyond the dreams of Alice...

Jim Thing 11:32 26 Apr 2010

It seems I've just won two million dollars in a Price [sic] Draw organised by Toyota. A nice man took the trouble to e-mail me in English (well almost) to give me the good news.

I feel the least I can do is celebrate by sharing it with FE and the kindred spirits on this forum, so if you'd kindly let me have your bank details via the yellow envelope I guarantee that you'll get a mighty surprise in the very near future.

Oh damn! I've just noticed that the nice man wants me to keep the whole thing secret — and now I've gome and told you lot. I suppose that's buggered the whole thing...

Jim Thing 11:35 26 Apr 2010

"gome" = "gone"

(You can tell I'm all excited...)

kidsis 13:34 26 Apr 2010

I was about to ask if you were married but if you can't spell 'gone' it would never work.

spikeychris 10:48 27 Apr 2010

I don't care if you can spell gone!

Jim Thing 11:09 27 Apr 2010

That's very kind of you, Chris ...

...but I'm an evil-tempered old git in the mornings...

Grey Goo 12:32 27 Apr 2010

Who's Alice

Jim Thing 14:09 27 Apr 2010

That's a family joke. One of my daughters once misheard someone use the quotation "rich beyond the dreams of avarice" and asked "Who's Alice?"

You're not one of my daughters — are you?

lotvic 23:39 27 Apr 2010

(as long as you don't want a DNA test)

ronalddonald 07:02 28 Apr 2010

Jimmy Did ya enter the competition or is it one of those scam things

Jim Thing 08:55 28 Apr 2010

ronalddonald:
It's 'one of those scam things'* which would have been more convincing if the e-mail had been written in decent English...

* At least I hope it's a scam. If it isn't I've just turned down two million dollars, a marriage proposal and a new daughter.

Grey Goo 10:29 29 Apr 2010

Only at weekends these days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017