RIAA and MP3 Players

bremner 13:55 17 Feb 2006

Have RIAA lost the plot or is this acceptable?

click here

Chegs ®™ 14:16 17 Feb 2006

"The RIAA also claims that digital rights management has only increased legitimate access to copyright works."

Last para just about sums it up,the RIAA have totally lost the plot. ;-)

DrScott 14:36 17 Feb 2006

"The RIAA also claims that digital rights management has only increased legitimate access to copyright works"

Isn't that obvious? By using DRM the music companies are turning what was necessarily a non-legitimate recording, i.e. an mp3, into a legitimate one. Therefore DRM has to increase legitimate music access, by the mere fact DRM exists.

I'm sure legally the RIAA are right, insomuch as copying tapes into playlists on blank tapes is technically breaking copyright, but stating in such terms is going a little bit far me thinks. I posted a thread a while ago about consumer associations' views on DRM - I don't think that many people found it that interesting!

click here

Devil Fish 16:07 17 Feb 2006

if they are going to push ahead with this then they would have to rip up the fair use bit

under fair use i can make a copy of a cd i own
cool

ive burnt my backup cd put it in portable cd player gone jogging round central park Fair use

now i have copied my cd onto my mp3 player and gone jogging round central park not fair use

apart from format the difference please?

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:38 17 Feb 2006

'fair use' does not apply in the UK. As has been stated here many times, for yonks the record companies have turned a blind eye to people recording their own CDs/records onto tape or another medium for playback. It has NEVER been legal in the strict sense of the word and any CD/DVD/tape that you buy makes this perfectly clear in the T&C which everyone has read...haven't they? Still, this would be a tad difficult to enforce by plod or anyone else and if it were enforced my MP3 player in teh car would have to be drop kicked into oblivion.

G

dmc727 18:21 17 Feb 2006

At the beginning of the month there was a Q&A session of the APIG DRM public inquiry hearing. Here are a few unofficial snippets from the meeting.

………………“What is fair dealing.

This is the right to use and make a copy and utilise information for criticism, review, private study. You can’t make a private copy, but you can make copies for private study, but not music or video.

Exceptions. Over 50 clauses of the copyright act that deal with exceptions. Fair dealing for research, private study, criticism, review. Non-commercial. Copyright act has never contained an exception for private copying. This means reproductions on any medium made by a person for private use, which are non-commercial.

Thus, technically, copying a CD to tape or MP3 is not covered by an exception.

Time-shifting exception, for video machines mainly, but shifts to digital world, this does not apply to private copying.

In what circumstances can people copy?

Can’t private copy, but it’s a tort not an offence.

Illegal file sharing is not the same as private copying, it’s in breach of the making available right, not in the private copying right. “………….

Personally, the copyright laws were made in a non digital age and urgently need updating to bring back some credibility.

If you have the time or inclination read on:click here

Mytob 21:45 17 Feb 2006

I way going to start my own little rant about this. Id just like to say that this is a positive insult to the consumer!!!! For god sake who is going to buy a copy for there cd player and a copy for every mp3 player and digital device they every own! Just think of the amazing amount they would be screwing us out of then! Its bad enuf at the moment with the extorshinate price of albums and well singles i aint even going to go there! I for one are goin 2 to protest against such actions being taken and i hope others do aswell!

bremner 08:35 18 Feb 2006

This is just in the US and as Gandalf points out we do not have "Fair Use" in the UK legislation.

However as we are ever more at the whim of the bureaucrats in Brussels/Strasborg it would not be unthinkable that something similar could follow in the fullness of time.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:29 18 Feb 2006

Before everyone gets up in arms, has anyone considered that IF this became law all the manufacturers would have to do is bring out a player that could play all formats and to which any Ipod or MP3 device could be attached. There are similar systems available at the moment and we are not talking rocket science to have a 'play all' system. Business opportunity there methinks.

G

dmc727 11:37 18 Feb 2006

I do see it as the law here in the UK now. A Copyright Act is made by Parliament and is part of the law of the land. As it says above copying a CD to tape or MP3 is not covered by an exception, but it is a tort not an offence. A tort is a civil wrong which can be dealt with in a civil law court and damages awarded. Therefore it is a law which can be enforced if so wished.

When we had vinyl records copying didn’t enter our heads so there is a certain mind set involved. The young ones of today only understand the digital age and I suppose discussions of this nature don’t engage them as they just do what seems natural to them - copy a CD for iPod use, law or no law.

The one format machine would be great but with the coming of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD discs - a bit like the VHS v Beta battle – that option doesn’t seem to be on the near horizon.

Mytob 23:58 18 Feb 2006

I think we should get this fair use thing here aswell myself as a consumer. hell if they try to pass this off in the uk then in going to do the best thing i can do as a consumer and refuse to buy it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?