RFID Card electronic pickpocket

Seth Haniel 11:19 05 Dec 2010

click here

It's new technology being used in credit and debit cards, and it's already leaving nearly 140 million people at-risk for electronic pickpocketing.

It all centers around radio frequency identification technology, or RFID.

You'll find it in everything from your passports to credit and debit cards.

It's supposed to make paying for things faster and easier.

You just wave the card, and you've paid.

But now some worry it's also making life easier for crooks trying to rip you off.

johndrew 11:27 05 Dec 2010

So much for 'experts' making passports harder to forge and credit cards easier to use.

Another case of one step forward and two back?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:07 05 Dec 2010

Easily foiled--

put a sheet of tin foil in the back of your wallet.

:0)

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:30 05 Dec 2010

It will only worry the utterly paranoid. The card has a limit of £15 per transaction and the banks have confirmed that if the card is used rapidly or in a strange pattern, the reader will ask for your 'secret' PIN. The banks have also confirmed that they will refund any unauthorised payments.
It's odd how some people get worried about this when they prefer to carry money which, if lost, has little or no chance of being returned. Another non-story.

G

peter99co 12:44 05 Dec 2010

Good post.

spuds 14:10 05 Dec 2010

"The banks have also confirmed that they will refund any unauthorised payments".

It as also been well recorded recently that the banks have not been so generous in providing refunds, and 'solid' proof is now a paramount factor in rejection or refund.

I think my card gives a £10 limit to the 'swipe' process. So bang goes most transactions, and I don't use McDonalds.

But I do like the Barclaycard advertisements, and their transport methods for the individual?.

Seth Haniel 15:09 05 Dec 2010

Fruit Bat /\0/\ has given the solution -
so I don't want to see any threads of you being ripped off in the future by this method ;)

Forum Editor 15:15 05 Dec 2010

in Hong Kong, where they've been in use for a long time - everyone uses them. You can buy them at all the MTR (Mass Transit Railway) stations for travel on the system. They don't contain any personal data, and if you lose one you only lose what you had stored on the card - nobody can access an account.

They work very well, but there was a big fuss when it transpired that the card charging machines could debit your bank account, even if you cancelled the card charge amount. The operators withdrew the machines in question. You now have to charge the card at an MTR station or one of the various shops that offer the service.

There's a maximum amount that you can store on the card - I think it's currently HK$1000, which is around £80.

The big advantage of these cards is the speed of the transaction - you just wave it over the card reader as you walk through the MTR ticket gate.

timsmith259 00:44 06 Dec 2010

is there a possibility of fraud using this teckno gadgets

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:59 06 Dec 2010

Is there a possibility of loss when you drop cash?

G

amonra 20:59 06 Dec 2010

Many areas of India have now unofficialy adopted the mobile phone as a cash card. You "pay" by texting the retailer and somehow he deducts the payment from your credit. Seems to work well in areas where banking facilities are no existent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?