The return of Reggie Perrin

Quickbeam 09:35 18 Apr 2009

Anyone remember that in the '70s? It seems Martin Clunes is to remake the surreal '70 comedy click here

I hope he does justice to Leonard Rositter's portrayal of Reggie click here He's a hard act to equal.

Forum Editor 11:12 18 Apr 2009

it will be another example of milking a great idea, and failing dismally. Despite the fact that I like Martin Clunes I am filled with foreboding.

Armchair 11:27 18 Apr 2009

The original is one of my favourite sitcoms (the first two series, anyway, it went downhill for the third, and Legacy should never have been made). Good as it is, though, it was of it's time.

Not a good idea to re-make it, imo. Rossiter was a ruthless powerhouse actor, and there's no way this new 'version' is going to be anywhere near as good.

user8 17:56 18 Apr 2009

Seems 1970's TV is better than todays pile of rubbish.

Forum Editor 18:27 18 Apr 2009

That's just nostalgia at work. There was rubbish TV in the '70s and there are superb programmes today, it's a question of being selective.

user8 19:35 18 Apr 2009

Yep, but as a youngster in the 70's i can only remember the good ones!!

laurie53 19:35 18 Apr 2009

Clunes has a hard row to hoe, but the thing to do is watch it for what it is and not as a comparison.

Legolas 21:27 18 Apr 2009

It will certainly be a hard act to follow to better or equal the original, but to view it with a preconceived point of view that it will not be as good as the original is a sure way to not enjoy the remake.

I think I will at least give it a fair shout before I make up my mind. I will want to like it because I like Martin Clunes.

This is the first I have heard of the remake so I am quite looking forward to it.

ventanas 21:48 18 Apr 2009

All I can say is GREAT / SUPER

Quiller. 23:40 18 Apr 2009

I didn't get were I am to today

if I didn't say

Great, smashing, super.

and lets not forget that we will have

no cockup's on the catering front.

Quickbeam 08:56 19 Apr 2009

" Great - Super" & " I didn't get where I am today..." are two catch phrases that made the original, can they be used again successfully, or has the writer updated the street talk I wonder?

But as said it will be best to watch with an open mind, but the yard stick is much longer to judge them by, and CJ's cliché writers will be Busier than a one-eyed cat watching two mouse holes, to be caught red handed using the same gag's, or the writing will be on the wall., and then it will be curtains for Clunes career as it goes down the pan. But they do say nothing ventured, nothing gained...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?