Retro toys...

Quickbeam 20:27 24 Aug 2007

Following the deviation on Strawballs 'Chinese motorcycle' post a while back, I find I have been seduced into bidding for a 30 year old Japanese motorcycle on e-bay.

A type of which I desired at the time but couldn't afford... now I can afford, but will require numerous winter hours of fun (fun = hard work & frustration)... to hell with it I want one!

Quickbeam 21:39 24 Aug 2007

a Suzuki SP370 trail bike, circa '79. In running order but in need of a winter makeover.

Ah well... we never grow up do we?

laurie53 09:47 25 Aug 2007

Childish or not, it's a grand feeling isn't it?

I am at long last having to get rid of my BMW twin which I coveted since the fifties and eventually got round to owning!

I was hoping to keep going until I exchanged leather for oak, but arthritis won!

Arthur Scrimshaw 09:47 25 Aug 2007

I had a look on ebay, I have had a hankering for a 1975 RD250 to recapture my youth. Nothing there but found a Suzuki GT380 - there are some nice restored 70's bikes around but they fetch a lot of money!

wee eddie 10:09 25 Aug 2007

I'm afraid the whole RD Range fell to bits long ago!

Arthur Scrimshaw 10:17 25 Aug 2007

Either that or embeded into the sides of cars!

spuds 11:23 25 Aug 2007

When I see vintage jap motorcycle (VJMC), brings tears to my eyes. I once owned a 1939? Jap Montgomery Greyhound with girder forks, in perfect running condition. In an house move, that an a number of other 'ancient' motorcycles ,moped types and other 'now expensive, and hard to come by' items got temporary left behind. I believe the rag and bone man helped himself to them, which I regret to this very day.

Bit like all the old car's and vehicles that went under the hammer, when the MOT was introduced. Lost a 1939 'built like a tank' with luxury fittings car that way, as well. Wasn't really anything wrong with it,that could not have easily have been sorted, but at the time!.

Must stop now, while I find an handkerchief :O(

Quickbeam 12:06 25 Aug 2007

I always use the term 'Japanese' for that reason. I remember 20 odd years ago looking through an auto jumble stall for some Norton Roadholders.

A man next to me picked up a JAP speedway rocker box, the stall holder said "JAP dirt", another said "Nothing wrong with Jap bikes at all!"

Quickbeam 12:16 25 Aug 2007

I've just checked out the VJMC site it looks very useful. I know that when I do the winter stripdown I'll get carried away, & want the frame stoving, paint work done, wheels re-laced with stainless spokes etc, etc. I particularly wanted one with the look & feel of the '70s... my biking era. And I don't mind doing some work on it, that leaves a bit of yourself in it.

It's not a fast bike, I'm too old for my nose on the bars of a 'Cafe Racer', but just right for a lazy potter about locally:)

Quickbeam 12:24 25 Aug 2007

click here
nearly at the bottom of the page... expains the 'JAP Dirt' reference for the under 40s.

Arthur Scrimshaw 12:52 25 Aug 2007

Thanks for the info - I'll check out the site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?