Retirement age review brought forward

TopCat® 15:55 13 Jul 2009

to next year. Among other things it should mean that someone reaching 65 cannot be sacked because of old age. click here

Even with this coming review, I still believe there are quite a few physically intensive jobs that a older man would find difficult to perform, past the age of sixty-five. TC.

Clapton is God 16:41 13 Jul 2009

"I still believe there are quite a few physically intensive jobs that a older man would find difficult to perform"

Fair comment.

So you then dispense with his services on the basis that he's unable to perform the job in the manner required because he doesn't meet the expected standards.

Nothing to do with 'age'.

interzone55 16:48 13 Jul 2009

"I still believe there are quite a few physically intensive jobs that a older man would find difficult to perform, past the age of sixty-five"

That all depends on the person. My dad was doing quite an intensive job until he was 75 and was forced to retire because his employer could no longer afford to insure him for the company vans.

But even if someone becomes too frail to carry out the hard work, surely there are other jobs that the person can do. One place I worked had a guy in his 80's working in the stores, he'd worked there forever and knew the business inside out, he was the company oracle and many people relied on his knowledge and expertise...

Armchair 16:50 13 Jul 2009

65? I don't think I qualify for a state pension till I'm 67. I'd be happy to retire now, though, given the chance!

TopCat® 17:10 13 Jul 2009

do' I would agree that where possible that should happen, but I guess some employers just wouldn't care to look at it that way.

'many people relied on his knowledge and expertise...' Exactly, and there's where the older guy becomes a valuable asset; he can impart his skills and experience on to others, more especially to the younger apprentices. TC.

Armchair 17:26 13 Jul 2009

They can always get a part in Last of the Summer Wine. They'll take anyone on there, lol.

laurie53 20:51 13 Jul 2009

It's not quite as simple as it sounds, giving people "light" or "easy" jobs, particularly in those fields where such jobs should be shared out.

I can remember a few years ago being in what had been a male dominated job when women started to take up posts.

However, they could not do nights, or lift heavy weights, or work at heights etc etc.

This meant that the male workers, who were getting less and less, had to do more of the more unpleasant jobs.

This is not a sexist rant, that's simply how it was until equality was really applied.

The same thing may well happen with older workers staying on "You can't put Joe on moving cement bags for God's sake! He's 73. Give it to one of the younger guys."

namtas 21:45 13 Jul 2009

laurie53, I know that you used this as an illustration, no one should be lifting bags of cements anyway they are above the limit for safe manual handling - and most things in the working environment are covered in a similar way.

Forum Editor 23:26 13 Jul 2009

If you're not capable of doing a physically intensive job - for whatever reason - there's not much point in you being in it.

What should happen, and I believe what will happen is that it should be come illegal to terminate someone's employment purely on the grounds of age. Employers will still be able to say that if someone can no longer meet the physical demands of the job then the employment must end.

Forum Editor 23:36 13 Jul 2009

"no one should be lifting bags of cements anyway they are above the limit for safe manual handling"

There's a European standard bag size, and millions of them are lifted in the building trade every week. The manual handling regulations 1992/2002 apply.

DieSse 01:10 14 Jul 2009

"I still believe there are quite a few physically intensive jobs that a older man would find difficult to perform, past the age of sixty-five."

Why 65 specifically?? - why not 64 or 66 or 57y 8 months?

That's why a specific age for retirement is so silly. It varies depending on the specific job and specific individual.

What really matters is the age at which a pension becomes payable. That will have to get later to allow pensions to be paid at a reasonable rate. We're living longer, and there'll be too few people working to support an ever growing number of pensioners.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires