Rethinking the design of Laptops

wee eddie 10:10 23 Apr 2007

Before we have another scandalous theft of the information held on the HDD of some City Slicker/Brigadier/Policeman's Laptop left in a Taxi or on the Train. I was wondering if it was necessary to hold so much information on the perishing thing.

At the present Hard Drives are among the primary consumers of energy on a laptop and also, apart from the battery and DVD Drive, one of the largest components.

Why do we need to carry 80GB around with us?

Most of the time we have a PC at base/desk, and know roughly what information that we will need before we leave base.

So why do we hump all this extra information around with us? If we did away with the Hard Drive on a Laptop, how would we run it and "securely" carry the selected information that we need for the day/meeting/weekend?

anskyber 10:17 23 Apr 2007

I think the answer is the laptop is becoming the machine of choice rather than a PC for many.

In a way it is the very flexibility and increased performance of a laptop which has lead to where we are. Perhaps more encryption is the way forward.

riiverstock 10:50 23 Apr 2007

"Why do we need to carry 80GB around with us?" just in case,when roaming the streets,one can jump onto a insecured wireless network and downloads loads of films!

I find that carrying my very large and heavy backpack, containing my pc tower in it and sprouting cables,attracts suspicious looks from fellow tube passengers.

wee eddie,when the roll-up screen is widely in use then the laptop will resemble a small umbrella.

"Oh no, I left that and my gloves in the taxi.And where's me purse!"

Forum Editor 17:13 23 Apr 2007

whenever I visit a client, and whenever I travel abroad. It's an essential tool of my trade - I couldn't function efficiently without it.

When it comes to file space, I suppose I could make do with less than 80Gb, but to be honest, why should I have to? My laptop is my mobile office, it has everything I need to function anywhere in the world.

Yes, security is a worry - I carry all kinds of sensitive commercial information with me - but so far (wood firmly being touched) I haven't had any mishaps - the machine is hardly ever out of my sight. Its size probably works in its favour in this respect, it would be much easier to lose or forget something smaller.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?