Retail version of Windows on a new PC

jz 17:36 04 Nov 2006

Is it possible to get the retail version of Windows on a new laptop from (eg) Dell or the other major manufacturers? Or do I have to buy the OEM version, throw it away then buy the retail version? If this is the case, what manufacturers sell PCs without an operating system installed so I can buy my own retail version that I can install myself?

bremner 17:51 04 Nov 2006

Why are you unhappy with an OEM copy - it is identical to the Retail version with the exception that (legally) the licence dies with the machine on which it is installed.

lisa02 17:55 04 Nov 2006

You won't change bits in a lappy so much that it needs a retail copy.

Don't waste money.

jz 19:05 04 Nov 2006

Well that's the problem - an OEM copy dies with the machine. I'd rather have a copy that I can transfer to another machine if I upgrade. The retail copy allows me to do this indefinitely.

Diodorus Siculus 19:07 04 Nov 2006

Novatech will sell you a PC without an OS.

anskyber 19:23 04 Nov 2006

So will Cube 247

jz 19:31 04 Nov 2006

Thanks Diodorus + Ansky.

I assume then that the big names will not sell you a retail copy?

Also, if I do decide to get a laptop from a big name (eg Dell) with an OEM copy of Windows (I'm reluctant to do this, but it seems you get a poor choice of laptops otherwise) do they give you the full Windows OEM disk, or a restore disk. I know someone who had a restore disk, and I didn't think much of it. It appeared to be just a 'ghost' of what was initially installed. I know that for some people this is the best options, but for people like me who want to re-install the way I want it, it's annoying.

anskyber 19:40 04 Nov 2006

My Dell desktop came with a recovery partition. I had the choice for an extra £5 to get a disc.

My needs I think are different to yours, I use Acronis true image for restore purposes.

Diodorus Siculus 19:40 04 Nov 2006

Some will give a restore disk, others a full windows disk... it's best to ask before purchase.

I'd suggest you get a PC with an OEM Windows disk for now and when you need to buy something more, get Vista.

jz 19:59 04 Nov 2006

I'm going to buy when Vista comes out. I suspect I will have to get a PC with the OEM Windows isntalled since the choice without it is so poor. Also, I plan to use Open Office so don't want MS Works, which seems to be included in Dell laptops. I'd rather pay a bit less and not get it. It surprises me that they don't allow you to not have it at a slightly lower price.

Snec 20:43 04 Nov 2006

There are plenty of places available on the net where you can buy base units with *nothing* installed. Planet-Micro & Envivisage are just two I regularly use (37 over the last 12 months).

With me it has nothing to do with costs, as all costs are passed on anyway. I prefer to buy machines that have not been mauled about, too much, by other people.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?