Representing ones country

donki 10:37 19 Jun 2008

click here

We have often seen stories liek this in football but it seems are rugger boys are up to it as well. Now in my opinion wheather the girl participated willingly, should sporting people representing their country be doign things liek this on tour? Especially considerign they were beaten. If it was me the players involved should be named and suspended from the national game for a number of games.

Cymro. 10:51 19 Jun 2008

I suppose the short answer to if sportsmen representing their country should be doing such things is no they should not.

But I think I would have preferred to wait until the police have finished investigating the matter before jumping to any conclusions about what happened.

As for your comment about them loosing in some way making the matter even worse, if what they did was wrong the loosing does not make it any worse and in fact has no barring on the incident,

Marko797 10:54 19 Jun 2008

if they were beaten or not, does it? It's totally wrong, unprofessional, and unacceptable.

It really is about time these 'professional sports-people' started behaving like the alleged role-models which we, and the young of today, are told they are. That's debateable. Worse, 'we' bestow a certain degree of celebrity on them (unjustified IMHO), in this bizarre society in which we live.

Suspended for a number of games? If this is *true*, they should be named/shamed and banned from representing their country indefinitely, & make them wear a flourescent vest, like it's being proposed for other offenders, who possibly have committed a lesser crime.

You can take the man/woman out of the gutter, but you can't necessarily take the gutter out of the man/woman.

dagbladet 11:20 19 Jun 2008

"..It's totally wrong, unprofessional, and unacceptable..."

What is? We don't actually know they have done anything wrong yet.

Marko797 11:25 19 Jun 2008

if u read the thread, I did say *if this is true*.

As for 'what is?', the principle surely.

Or do u have other views on it?

donki 12:19 19 Jun 2008

No I meant more that they were out drinking even thou they were beaten, the other matter in the article shouldn't have happened at all.

The point about waiting to see if the story is true, of course we should, I am not stupid enough to believe everything i read in the papers. But lets just say i will not be surprised if the story is true.

interzone55 15:10 19 Jun 2008

Let's ignore the alleged criminal act for now and concentrate on the drinking aspect.

The team had been beaten, so were out drowning their sorrows. If they'd won they'd be out celebrating.

Have you ever been out with work & had an over night stay? Did you stay in your room like a good boy and just sit around watching telly? Most people would make the most of a night away from home & have a drink or several, why should rugby players be any different? And since when did rugby players have a reputation for acting like monks.

Then we get to question of whether sports people these days act any worse than players in the days of black & white TV. The answer is a resounding no. Footballers, rugby players and cricketers have long had a reputation for drinking, it's just that todays players can afford fancier drinks...

donki 16:46 19 Jun 2008

"Have you ever been out with work & had an over night stay? Did you stay in your room like a good boy and just sit around watching telly?"

No of course I didnt, but i have never representd my country at international level and have people look up at me either.

I represtnted Ulster at school boy level, I was a reserve but still played a few games. If we had of been caught drinking after we had got beaten I can assure you we wouldnt have played for a few matches after that and IMO quite rightly so.

I agree with the reputation that players in rugby, football and criket have and what I am saying is it isnt right. There should be consequences for their actions.

Forum Editor 17:49 19 Jun 2008

Not so much because of the allegation - whether the offence was committed or not is still not know, so there's no point in discussing it.

What interests me is some of the reaction. Representing your country in international competition is not the same as staying overnight on a business trip; these people are ambassadors for our country, whether they like it or not, and to suggest that it's OK for them to go out on the town drinking, and then return to their hotel with girls from the town strikes me as surprising, to say the least. The fact that so any people, including the players themselves, think it is OK is possibly one of the reasons we see so many 'what's happened to our country, it's gone to the dogs' comments.

The way that sportsmen and women behave when they're abroad is observed and remembered by the local people - they watch the drinking and cavorting and make judgments. They may only be small incidents taken in isolation, but they have a cumulative effect, both abroad, and here, at home. Young players entering the sport see the way their senior colleagues go about setting an example, and it rubs off.

Alf Ramsey, and people like him must be turning in their graves.

laurie53 21:25 19 Jun 2008

I fear you are confusing sportsmen and women with highly paid professional entertainers.

The old style players, of any sport, which we are using for comparison, disappeared once the money moved in.

That, or rather this, is the society we now live in.

So called celebs, in whatever field, expect, and are expected, to behave thus.

DrScott 22:06 19 Jun 2008

is the way this story was initially reported. Essentially it was along the lines of:

'Some England sportsmen have been involved in some incident somewhere involving other unknown people. The details of the incident are unknown and the police have only said that there has been an incident. Details are as yet unknown'.

Apparently that was considered important news.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone