Replica gun laws,

wolfie3000 01:44 07 Oct 2010

Me and a few friends are thinking of making a Halo 1 SRS99C-S2 AM sniper rifle out of scrap metal and odds and sods,

But we are not to sure of the current laws on making replica guns,
Obviously it wont work as a proper gun, it wont even take ammo, but is it legal to make one?

heres what we hope to make.

click here

All we want to do is display it in one of our front rooms as a tribute to Halo.

tullie 06:46 07 Oct 2010

This maybe of interest click here

wiz-king 06:56 07 Oct 2010

The law is one thing and would be applicable to your gun even as it's not a replica of a real gun (even if you think Halo is real *grin*) it is a imitation fire arm and like most children's cap pistols. However the way it is used may affect you; if you or your friend display it on the wall in a front room in view of the window just think of your neighbours and whether it could be conceived as part of a terrorist threat - you could get a visit and advice from Mr Plod. Ditto running round the local common shouting 'Bang - got you' might evoke a armed response as well as the men with a back to front white jacket.

BRYNIT 08:07 07 Oct 2010

Taken from a link within the link tullie supplied.

The Law on imitation firearms

36 Manufacture, import and sale of realistic imitation firearms
(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—
(a) he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;
(b) he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation
firearm;
(c) he sells a realistic imitation firearm; or
(d) he brings a realistic imitation firearm into Great Britain or causes one to
be brought into Great Britain.

wiz-king 08:12 07 Oct 2010

Could be fun defining 'realistic', if you paint it pink or green does it become unrealistic as most guns are black?

jakimo 11:14 07 Oct 2010

'Could be fun defining 'realistic', if you paint it pink or green does it become unrealistic as most guns are black?'

Camouflaging a gun to fool people into thinking it was not a gun would only add to the list of offenses,as it would still be a gun

john bunyan 13:01 07 Oct 2010

Be very careful , if , unwisely, you go ahead and make this replica, not to carry it around in the street.

click here

Uboat 13:11 07 Oct 2010

Woolfie hiya m8! IF the gun is built on a stand then i would of thought it would be totaly fine! i'd contact your local police and ask them! make sure they understand its for a game! good luck and let me know when ur finished it!
UB

wolfie3000 15:54 07 Oct 2010

Thanks for all the responses, I will contact our local police for advice on this.

The "gun" will be black as seen in the photo and will be life size so to speak.

Obviously we wont be carrying it around the streets in plain view but may need to be transported to different houses so we can work on it.

Fingers crossed its ok to do.

Shortstop 16:18 07 Oct 2010

There is a replica gun manufacturer quite close to where I live. They make guns for TV & films and complained earlier this year that, because of the law, they could not sell the guns if they were painted 'gun black' but could if they were painted bright colours. This meant that their niche market were obviously not interested in buying guns in dayglo pink from them as they looked slightly [LOL] unrealistic and, I believe, there was talk of the company going out of business as a result since they operate out of little more than a converted bungalow.

I thought I was wrong and then I found this from click here -

An imitation firearm will not be regarded as realistic if it is:

* transparent or bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright pink, bright purple or bright blue in colour

Paul

Forum Editor 18:26 07 Oct 2010

No, it's not. You said your imitation would be black, and that's illegal.

The whole idea is that an imitation firearm must not be capable of being confused for the real thing, and if your gun is black it will certainly look 'real'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone