Remembrance hour

Quickbeam 11:12 11 Nov 2009

It only just struck me as the that this year is the first year that there are now no surviving veterans from the Great War.

That made it much more poignant for me this year.

DANZIG 11:41 11 Nov 2009

I think it makes it even more important that we never forget the sacrifice they made.

Was watching BBC Breakfast this morning and they had Michael Palin on discussing this.

Interestingly the government at the time of WW1 didn't want the bodies coming back to England - I wonder if the war would have gone on as long if there had been 1000's of bodies coming back every month or so....

donki 11:44 11 Nov 2009

I think its important to remember all sevice men and woman who have lost thier life in war time, not just WW1 and WW2.

Quickbeam 12:16 11 Nov 2009

It's the broken link with The Great War, which started the national act of remembrance that made me think something has now gone.

It will of course always remember the modern dead, but the link to it's origin is now gone.

Belatucadrus 13:37 11 Nov 2009

Not strictly true, there are no UK resident survivors, but Claude Stanley Choules born in Wyre Piddle, Pershore, Worcestershire is still alive though resident in Australia.
click here
Like Palin I'm another one with a Great Uncle who didn't survive the Somme.

oldbeefer2 13:37 11 Nov 2009

I always hoped the gouvenment would make 11 Nov a National Holiday as in France ('cos it's my birthday). Doesn't matter now as I retired yesterday! I think it's as poignant with the losses that continue to occur in Afganistan (although thankfully nothing like WW1 - did they say 70,000 British dead on the first day of the Somme? Quite unbelivable now.).

numpty_uk 13:53 11 Nov 2009

BBC1 did a good service today at the 11th hour.
Not sure if the other channels followed though.

Kevscar1 13:56 11 Nov 2009

What I found amazing was I made a request on world chat in the game I'm playing for them to stop and honour those who died for their counrty.
Apart from system message nothing came up until 11.02

bjh 14:01 11 Nov 2009

I was in a shop at 11, and almost everybody quietly and with dignity came to a stop following a quiet announcement. A few didn't, until they peeped at wristwatches, etc., looked abashed, and then stopped.
One late middle-aged woman unloaded her trolley EXTRA noisily to make a point of not taking part... thump, rustle, bang... and at the end of the minute silence, the fairly young till girl (19ish) simply said "I'm sorry, this checkout is closed", stood up, and left. Woman had to pile it all back in trolley... (I did like that... I'm not keen to force people to remember, but I confess, I did like that!)

BT 18:16 11 Nov 2009

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place: and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die.
We shall not sleep,
Though poppies grow in Flanders fields.

sunnystaines 18:29 11 Nov 2009

does anywhere outside G.B. sell poppies

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?