Reid Fury At Latest Home Office Gaffe

hijo 07:44 10 Jan 2007

Is there any wonder this country is like it is when u see stories like this.....

click here

Weskit 09:04 10 Jan 2007

So what's new?

wee eddie 10:29 10 Jan 2007

There appears to be a culture among some parts of the Civil Service that avoids action and responsibility. This also happens in big Industrial concerns so to blame the CS for what is, after all, a human failing would be excessive.

n4165si 14:38 10 Jan 2007

accountability is the word i would use,far too many people holding responsible positions in public life seem not to be accountable for their actions,maybe a few job losses would straighten out the situation,particulary among civil servants of the higher grades.

wee eddie 16:02 10 Jan 2007

Thereby lies the rub.

In the Civil Service, losing your job usually means a similar position in a different department with no loss of Grade.

oresome 18:07 10 Jan 2007

If we accept the politicians analysis that the department wasn't "fit for purpose" a few months ago, it's hardly suprising that we continue to have blunders.

Getting it "fit for purpose" won't be an overnight excercise even if the money was available, which I suspect the Treasury say must be found from within existing budgets.

By the time the department gets the structures in place, the "purpose" will have changed anyway.

Who's for raising taxes and throwing more money at it?

No, I thought not!

Arthur Scrimshaw 18:55 10 Jan 2007

a letter was sent to McNulty and acknowledged by the Junior Minister warning them of this issue and that the Home Secretary 'may want to be informed' - this was sent in Oct 06 and yet nothing seems to have done about it - the Conservatives and Liberals will be baying for blood now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone