Registration - not a particular site in mind

pj123 17:56 18 Apr 2007

but I suppose with the millions of people now on the WWW, it must become difficult to choose a User ID?

I just tried to register and it took me 25 goes to get a User ID that isn't already being used.

I nearly gave up at one point, but I thought, give it one more try. I used "nearlygaveup" and it was accepted.

How do you choose your User ID?

rodriguez 18:02 18 Apr 2007

Try my usual username for things, if that fails I put the last 4 digits of my phone number on the end. That usually works, but even if that fails I play around by putting in underscores and/or other numbers until it works.

SB23 18:29 18 Apr 2007

I've often wondered the same thing, thats how I ended up with SB23, its simply my initials and, well now, my old house number.
It always seems to me that the funny, weird, or other names that I come up with are always taken.
I actually feel like changing my name on PCA, but thats another thread, lol.

SB23 18:43 18 Apr 2007

I tried that one, but couldn't remember them.

jack 08:30 19 Apr 2007

Well that one nearly always had me stumped because I got the 'already in use' signal from all combinations of normal 'given' names and fictitious ones
Then I had it- a name known by me and only used by me
and no one else-computer wise anyway- can you guess it?

You car index plate

It is registered to you with perhaps other drivers
but not on your computer.

wee eddie 10:33 19 Apr 2007

I use the Registration Numbers of my old cars, combined with an associated ex-girlfriends name as Passwords. Difficult to guess and the reminder is fairly cryptic as well.

e.g. Spitfire-Tiggy

wellshgit 11:31 19 Apr 2007

I tried welshgit, but already taken, so added an extra l. Have never seen a posting from welshgit though!

pj123 11:38 19 Apr 2007

jack, you won't believe this but I tried my car reg number. Guess? "already in use"

Either someone else has the same number as mine, has seen my car somewhere on the road or perhaps, could be a previous owner?

HondaMan 12:05 19 Apr 2007

admit to this, but I keep a filofax beside my computer will all my information in it, including passwords, login names etc. Its the only way I can remember them. The master list is on a USB drive - well hidden from prying eyes!

Trademark 12:45 19 Apr 2007

Until recently more than 80% of the users were i work kept their logging details within 2 foot of their pc's!
This included usernames for a vast amount of different sites & with passwords.

dagbladet 13:46 19 Apr 2007

If you're using Firefox they are listed. Don't know about IE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?