Red Site According to Site Advisor

J B 12:04 01 Sep 2006

I must admit that I only look at Site Advisor when I do a Google Search, so when I went Into PCPRO i was somewhat surprised that it came up red with it being linked with four dodgy websites of which three were red and one yellow. It seems to me that for a well known Magazine website that would be associated with sites that are known for what some people consider adware, spyware, or unwanted programs is bad form. I'm not paranoid when I view a website that is known to me, I treat each one on it's own merits, however I would suspect that some people who see red would avoid viewing that site. Any thoughts? J.B.

beynac 12:18 01 Sep 2006

Several of the anti-malware sites have been listed as 'red' by SiteAdvisor (SA) because of 'links to malware downloads'. These links are in HijackThis logs being posted by victims of malware. SA are aware of this and have now changed the rating to 'green'. I'm sure that their new crawlers will come out with more false positives on this. Just because site'A' links to bad site 'B' doesn't mean that site 'A' is bad.

IMO McAfee needs to get its act together or it will lose credibility, which would be a shame. SA is a very good program but they need to consider the context, as well as content, where links to bad sites are shown.

J B 10:46 02 Sep 2006

Hmmmmm!! Common sense prevails. J.B.

ade.h 13:49 02 Sep 2006

It's just as well that the FE was able to remove all the dodgy links that we were suffering with yesterday, otherwise even PCA might have fallen into the Site Advisor net.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?