The Red Arrows are safe!

TOPCAT® 21:47 10 Apr 2007

Can't see if this news has been posted yet, but here it is from the man himself. TC.

"Thank you for signing the petition on the No.10 website calling for the maintenance of the Red Arrows. It is a sign of the place they hold in the national affections that so many people have joined you in signing it - one of the highest numbers since the e-petition service began. That's why I wanted to reply personally. It's also why I am replying before the petition officially closes, in order to reassure people who are clearly concerned.

I am pleased to be able to give you good news. There are no plans to change the funding for the Red Arrows, let alone to disband them.

It is important, of course, that the MOD looks at the full range of its spending plans as part of its routine financial planning, to ensure that taxpayers' money is spent where our Armed Forces most need it. Obviously it is this review which prompted fears that the Red Arrows might be scrapped.

However, like you, the Government recognises just what an important role the Red Arrows play in our national life. As the world's premier aerobatic team, they have thrilled millions of spectators over many years. I was lucky enough to see their extraordinary skills myself only last year at the Farnborough Air Show.

More importantly, the Red Arrows have maintained public support for the Royal Air Force, encouraged recruitment, acted as ambassadors for Britain in the world and promoted British industry for many years. So I am pleased to assure you that this government fully intends to keep the Red Arrows flying.

Thank you for signing this petition, and I hope you get a chance to see the Red Arrows yourself soon.

Yours sincerely,

Tony Blair

anskyber 21:49 10 Apr 2007
  TOPCAT® 21:59 10 Apr 2007

Closing now. TC.

Stuartli 23:19 10 Apr 2007

I don't know how many people signed this particular petition but, in the case of the equivalent for possible road charging which was signed by 1.8m people online, the Government said it was "too small" a figure to be representative of motorists as a whole.

As with anything, TB and Co only listen to what they want to listen to.....

That's why they recently carried out an exercise lasting only a couple of hours and involving just 60 people, claimed to represent a wide range of voters, to help decide future New Labour policy.

I'm sure that the other 59,000,940 members of the population are now almost immune to such hypocrisy....:-)

Jak_1 00:36 11 Apr 2007

It seems that a lot of people think that the Red Arrows put on their displays for free! This is not the case, every time they put on a display they charge the organisers of the display a fee so they are not solely funded by the tax payer! I have never ceased to marvel at their displays and they are a testimony to the professionalism of our forces. They also help, by their displays, to sell British systems, again bringing in trade and work etc to this country.
Long may they continue.

Polygonal lass 08:36 11 Apr 2007

This is good news indeed! Thank you TC for your post!

I look forward to seeing them this summer, at the Sunderland Air Show.

TOPCAT® 17:33 11 Apr 2007

I find it hard to believe that there is a petition to disband the Red Arrows, with fifteen votes to date. click here

On the other hand there are 57,160 signatures so far with a deadline of 24 July 07 to keep them flying. TC. click here

Stuartli 20:32 11 Apr 2007

You will always get some miserable souls who would attempt to stop anything that people enjoy and suggest that the money saved should be used for some other obscure purpose close to their hearts...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone