Red Arrows are not PC,

Bingalau 14:49 24 Sep 2007

it seems they have been prevented from performing at the opening of the Olympic games in London. Has anybody else heard about this?

Seth Haniel 14:50 24 Sep 2007

could be the no-fly zone area has been set up for security ;)

Pine Man 14:56 24 Sep 2007

They probably can't afford them after the wage bill that is being run up!!

techie4me 15:01 24 Sep 2007

Their is a rule about aircraft with only one engine not flying over the captial.
Twin engines are allowed but this may only be aimed at Rotary Wing (Helicopters)
To be honest it's 4.5 years away anything could happen before then!

dagbladet 15:05 24 Sep 2007

It was reported in many papers last week. Here's the 'nations favourite'.

click here

Bingalau 15:06 24 Sep 2007

It was sent to me in an e-mail from Australia. I will try to copy and paste the gist of it.

The world-famous Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics because they are deemed "too British".

Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background might be "offensive" to other countries taking part in the Games. The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team "too militaristically British". Red Arrows pilots were said to be "outraged", as they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen before. Being axed from a British-based event for being "too British" is an insult - the Arrows are a symbol of Britain.

The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas trade, as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.

The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was announced, but their flypast at the Games was to have been truly spectacular.

It is to be hoped that common sense prevails.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:07 24 Sep 2007

RED ARROWS SAY OLYMPICS BAN FEARS ARE 'UNFOUNDED'

Aerobatics team the Red Arrows has moved to scotch rumours that it has been banned from performing at the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony.
A national newspaper and numerous websites have reported that event organisers believe the Lincolnshire-based team's military background "might offend other nations".
It is alleged that the Department for Culture, Media and Sport ruled last week that the RAF Scampton squad is "unsuitable" and "not in keeping with the event as they were too militaristically British".
But team spokesman Rachel Huxford said: "We have had no discussions about the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics whatsoever.
We are still planning our 2008 season at this stage and that is a long way off. We understand that no decision has yet been made about the ceremony.
"We performed when London won its Olympic bid in 2005 after we received a standard request from the Olympic organisers."
She added that none of the team's pilots had spoken to the national newspaper about the rumour.
The story has sparked furious debate on many web forums.
On Yahoo! Answers, Eric F. wrote: "This is a great shame, but these days we have to do everything so correct in case it offends somebody."
A similar debate was being held on Military Forums, Eye On The World and Andrew's World.
T

Stuartli 15:18 24 Sep 2007

>>Their is a rule about aircraft with only one engine not flying over the captial.>>

The Red Arrows have flown over the capital - I can recall them in action during the Queen Mother's 100th birthday celebrations.

As someone who saw the famous team in action twice over the weekend as well as many times over the years all I can say is that, if you have the best in the world, then it should be shown to the world.

Stuartli 15:20 24 Sep 2007
  techie4me 15:37 24 Sep 2007

Well if it's in the paper of the humble squadie it must be correct, surely Gandalf?

Bingalau 17:32 24 Sep 2007

I do not read the Sun newspaper, I would have known it was a load of old codswallop if I had done so. That rag just keeps getting worse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?