Recycling etc....

realist 16:48 26 Jan 2007

Anyone out there claim to be recycling to the max?(in terms of reducing to an absolute minimum the amount of non-recycleable waste in their bin each week)

I don't claim to be, but we are warned we may soon be faced with alternate collections of recycleable and non-recycleable waste so it's suddenly become necessary to find out more about this subject.

I've read you need to compost stuff that can be composted, but how do you deal with your kitchem waste that can't be chucked in the compost bin?

I've seen you can get worms (ugh!) to eat it or some kind of microbes to process it so it can be composted. Does anyone actually do this sort of thing?

MichelleC 17:02 26 Jan 2007

We recycle tins, glass, paper, plastic and there's a large dustbin in the garden full with rotting compost. It'll take 6 - 12 months to get a full rich compost but there's nothing better for the garden. Anything which can rot goes in there except waste meat etc which encourages maggots.

johndrew 17:12 26 Jan 2007

We recycle as much as we can and agree that home made compost is good, especially when well rotted. However there are a couple of problems, 1. you need at least two good sized bins to take all that comes from the garden and kitchen and 2. compost bins are becoming homes for rats. This latter, according to our council, is difficult to deal with as they want us to recycle but the rat population is rising as a result!!! Presumably the rats were always around but are now finding the compost bins better homes and warmer in the winter!!!

As for metal, paper and plastic we have a weekly collection and glass goes separately once a month.

The overall result is that our waste is reduced to less than half of what it was.

Belatucadrus 17:18 26 Jan 2007

This one usually produced by councils who've gone from weekly collection to one every two weeks and are trying to pass the buck on the resultant explosion in the rodent population.

Kate B 17:25 26 Jan 2007

Time to increase the cat population ;-)

spuds 17:25 26 Jan 2007

Our local council have won awards for their recycling and waste disposal efforts.They are now implementing a warden and fines system for 'excessive' use of the facilities provided.

Shame really, because when the new and very expensive multi million pound recycling unit broke down recently, the council had to transport some of the rubbish to a landfill site sixty miles away.

Do what we say, but not what we do, comes to mind.

Personally, I find it easier to store certain items, and visit the local recycling (tip) centre as and when required.

spuds 17:30 26 Jan 2007

"Time to increase the cat population".

Not when they mess on my land, which seems a bigger problem that the rats,mice, foxes, pigeons and squirrels that I have around ;o(

Mr Mistoffelees 17:34 26 Jan 2007

Our local council, South Somerset district council, introduced separate collections some time ago. For most recyclable waste we have a large plastic box. For food waste we have a bin with a lockable lid that the rats and other potential pests cannot get into. All seems to work very well.

Mr Mistoffelees 17:36 26 Jan 2007

If you get your own cat "mess on my land" is likely to be greatly reduced. Your own cat will go elsewhere and won't be keen on others using your land as a toilet.

Totally-braindead 17:41 26 Jan 2007

In my block of 4 flats we have 2 bins each, grey for rubbish green for garden waste and a box which gets blown away quite regularly for plastic, tin cans paper etc. The box is emptied weekly. The bins are emptied alternate weeks.
Fine idea. The only problem is we all have green bins for garden waste but don't have a garden. Bit of a waste of money there I think.

realist 17:42 26 Jan 2007

Hmmph....

My cat (Palmar Star Maisie Belle II) wouldn't dream of doing her business anywhere other than on my formerly pristine front lawn.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?