Recycling

morddwyd 10:26 17 Apr 2011
Answered

My local council has just started recycling the grit it spread over the winter.

They reckon to collect (via street sweepers) 800 tones a month at the moment, though this will obviously decrease, saving £500,000 on landfill taxes.

New one on me, anywhere else doing similar?

We're a mainly rural area, but an area with many primary routes should be able to make quite a saving if these figures are right.

rdave13 10:48 17 Apr 2011
Answer

Not heard of any plans to do it in my area but sounds a very good idea.

birdface 10:57 17 Apr 2011

Just shows how much I know I automatically thought that the salt would desolve in the Ice and snow like it does in cooking.But obviously not.

spuds 11:44 17 Apr 2011

Like buteman perhaps, I would have thought that the salt would dissolve and the remainder would be uneconomical to salvage, unless the material was spread in confined places. Saving £500.000 would in my estimate seem more like a PR exercise than any actual recycling measure.

Talking about recycling, I notice that more council's seem to be preparing themselves for the increase of redundant televisions and/or radios?.

morddwyd 14:20 17 Apr 2011

It's the grit they're recycling, not the salt.

I suspect that the salt is long gone!

wiz-king 14:41 17 Apr 2011

Most of it ends up in the drains, if you go to your lacal treatment works you can see where they filter it out and sell it back to the councils and landscape gardeners.

woodchip 17:11 17 Apr 2011

Main part of what they spread is not Salt, its Grit sand. Cannot see it being much good as it will most of it be just muck and disintegrating Tarmac

Forum Editor 17:45 17 Apr 2011

woodchip

"Cannot see it being much good as it will most of it be just muck and disintegrating Tarmac"

Recycled grit from road sweepings and gully waste is worth £5 a tonne. Many local authorities recycle it and use it again the following winter. With landfill charges currently running at £105 a tonne it makes economic sense to recover grit, clean it, and store it for the future.

flycatcher1 09:48 18 Apr 2011

I know that I am a "posbie" but I have recovered most of the grit etc that I had to put down last winter. Every little helps.

Chegs ®™ 13:49 18 Apr 2011

I'm just glad the council have ceased filling the yellow salt bins around here as the contents were either taken for private use(yet never spread by the residents to ease their access to their streets)or tipped over by the drunken heman trying to impress their mates.

Aitchbee 21:25 18 Apr 2011

hello morddwyd - I haven't seen that scheme in south side of Glasgow. But, as i have said in another post with recycling in mind, four tower blocks 20 storeys high have been crunched down to about 1,000 lorry-loads of fine rubble and reused to landscape the new road developement in that same city. I have also seen in the local park (King's Park) about 200 large coniferous trees felled and turned into giant logs...what a site!They are doing a major clearing out of the park.I'm hoping to get some pictures of it tomoro.It's big stuff!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?