Reclaiming Bank Penalty Charges.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:29 01 Feb 2007

click here

This was first posted about back in November. I have taken the first step and received a stock response, clearly designed to head me off at the pass.

Has anyone actually had a successful claim? I would be particularly interested if any Lloyds TSB customers have managed to get refunds.

ray7 21:59 01 Feb 2007

Lloyds TSB......over £500.000 reimbursed.

click here

bluto1 22:01 01 Feb 2007

Thank you for this post. I went £4.99 over the top in December and my bank is going to charge me £40.00 for the privilege. I`ll use the information in your link to try to have that reduced. Been with them for over 45 years but if no joy I`m off somewhere else smartish.
Hope you get some help yourself.

Confab 22:23 01 Feb 2007

This is the sort of thing that annoys me.

Think about the services that you can get from your bank. Cheque book, direct debits, standing orders, access to your cash 24hrs a day 365 days a year via cash machines all over the world, phone banking, internet banking, interest on your current account, interest on your savings, advise on cash management, loans at reasonable rates, credit cards, cheque cards, debit cards, advise on insurance and assurance. These are but a few services I could mention and all for free. Lets not forget the safety and security of your money. You don’t have to keep it in a tin or under the mattress any more and if it gets stolen because YOU lost your card or YOU didn’t keep your PIN or password secret then the bank pays you back.

But there are rules – If you go overdrawn without an authorised overdraft then you pay the price. If you don’t want to incur the charges then don’t go overdrawn, look after your account, don’t expect the bank to do it for you. It really is that simple.

There is an alternative of course. If you really don’t like what the bank has to offer you then keep your cash in the tin or under the mattress, but would you be able to sleep soundly if you did?

Confab

Al94 22:29 01 Feb 2007

Well said Confab, I am fed up with whingers complaining about UK Banks. If you run your finances properly you won't incur these openly advertised penalty charges.

lotvic 22:34 01 Feb 2007

visit Martin Lewis click here 4th one in the list
""Bank charges: Reclaim them, they're unlawful, so you can get six years money back
Your bank owes your money. This free guide includes template letters and calculators so you can join the thousands who've reclaimed £1000s. All penalty charges for exceeding your overdrafts, bounced direct debits and cheques are commonly believed to be unlawful.""

Al94 22:42 01 Feb 2007

And who is going to pay for these refunds ultimately?

Confab 22:47 01 Feb 2007

I'm sure you read the "small print" but just in case you didn't

click here,

Confab 22:48 01 Feb 2007

"we can’t and don’t warrant the completeness, truth or accuracy of the information or other content or postings found on our site"

Sorry forgot this bit

lotvic 23:10 01 Feb 2007

hee he
Is that the best you can come up with?
You must have been really upset then, when you read how many have got their money back.

Forum Editor 23:38 01 Feb 2007

has been tested in court. A man took action against the Royal Bank of Scotland because they had charged him £3400 over a period of time, and he believed they had acted illegally in doing so. He won his case, and the court ordered the bank to repay the money. It failed to do so, despite reminders,so the man in question asked the court to send in the bailiffs. They turned up at his lcal RBS branch and seized four computers, two fax machines, and a till-drawer full of cash. It wasn't until the manager gave a written undertaking that the money would be paid to their customer that the bailiffs withdrew.

I anticipate a rash of similar court actions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?