Receipts in shops

interzone55 19:03 05 Jan 2010

Today my wife bought a couple of things for work from a pound shop (not Poundland, an independent) and asked for a receipt.

The response was "we're a poundshop, we don't give receipts"

I thought shops were required by law to issue a receipt on request even if everything is only a pound...

morddwyd 20:29 05 Jan 2010

I think they have to keep a record of receipts for tax reasons, but I'm not sure they have to actually issue them.

canarieslover 20:42 05 Jan 2010

My local ones actually have a notice up that says something about making certain you get receipt and offers an incentive for reporting lack of receipt. I can't remember the exact wording as I'm always 'chomping at the bit' to get out of any shop.

interzone55 21:01 05 Jan 2010

I found this from the HMRC on another forum,
"If you are a retailer, you do not need to issue a VAT invoice or receipt unless asked to do so by the buyer. "

I read this as businesses should issue a receipt upon request...

Hercule Marple 21:18 05 Jan 2010

I always ask for receipt when I buy something in my local Poundland, and I always get one. Gateshead MetroCentre store.

Forum Editor 00:33 06 Jan 2010

if asked to do so. There's no requirement for one to be issued automatically.

Quickbeam 06:46 06 Jan 2010

Complain to the VAT inspector at HMRC, then they'll wish Genghis Khan came for tea instead...:O

johndrew 15:54 06 Jan 2010

I would have thought the major problem would come if you were stopped on leaving the store and accused of having goods not paid for. If the store doesn`t give a receipt you can`t be expected to have one therefore you have difficulty in proving you have paid and the store that you`ve not. Could get quite interesting with accusations and denials flying around.

Forum Editor 17:25 06 Jan 2010

"Could get quite interesting with accusations and denials flying around."

The fact is, it doesn't, though. Lots of shops don't issue receipts, and if it was a real problem I'm sure we would all know about it by now.

johndrew 15:37 07 Jan 2010

`The fact is, it doesn't, though.`

As I said `if you were stopped`; there is no certainty any more than the certain `fact` that no accusations or denials could result.

Tim1964 00:09 08 Jan 2010

I would have thought that a receipt is for the same reason as why things are 99p. It forces the staff to ring up the purchase and therefore have a record of it on the till roll.

If an employee doesn't issue a receipt what's to stop them pocketing the money and bypassing the till altogether.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?