The real Dad's Army

Dragon_Heart 23:55 20 Feb 2011

Watched a recorded episode of Dad's Army, the one3 were a bomb falls on the towns pumping station and two of Capt. Mainwaring's men are trapped.

Mainwaring, normally portrayed as a pompous, blustering figure with an over inflated sense of self importance, must rescue his men, one of whom may be ill, by removing rubble from behind a door.

The problem is the bomb has damaged the roof were they must work and is in danger of falling in on the rescuers so Mainwaring draws lots to see who will work at the front of the rescue line and in most danger of being hurt. One of two take a paper without a cross, then the ARP warden get one with a cross then Mainwaring takes a paper but his is blank but, in an act of bravery, claims he has the other marked paper.

It reminded me that many films, books etc have been produced about the hero’s of the wars but not many have been produced about the brave me & women of the Home Guard and ARP's who helped homeland moral and saved countless lives.

I could be said these men and women had had the best part of their lives and had nothing to lose but the fear of death is still as strong if you 18 or 78 years of age. To overcome that fear in order to save another life save is being a hero !

Pity that spirit is not so general in today’s society !

wolfie3000 00:11 21 Feb 2011

"Pity that spirit is not so general in today’s society"

I beg to differ, there are many stories of true bravery nowadays, alot of brave men and women in the police force alone face death in there careers in order to rescue others.

Maybe not from bombs or the third Reich but they face places and people that can just as easily take there lives.

morddwyd 08:57 21 Feb 2011

Suggest you look a bit harder at the stories coming out at the 7/7 inquest.

Bingalau 09:44 21 Feb 2011

Dragon_Heart. I think you may have put the cat amongst the pigeons there. People are no different now than they were then. Some of us are brave under certain circumstances and some of us aren't. It may well be that a certain person is in the right place at the right time. But then there are such things as our troops being in places where they are sent. Some are braver than others and some are only pretending to be brave. Circumstances can change even their feelings and actions at any time. No one intends to do brave things, it just happens. The brave man can become a coward and vice-versa. That's my opinion anyway.

As for the real Dad's Army, well they would have done what they were asked to do at the time it would indeed be good to read a book about their exploits. I assume that there are books already in existence if one cares to look.

Quickbeam 10:14 21 Feb 2011

Just came across this story click here Can you spot the characters of the not yet made TV series?

spuds 11:01 21 Feb 2011

Fear of death as nothing to do with age, but the persons own constitution in life. This can be based on bravado or perhaps in the right place at the wrong time.

I do not know if Health And Safety as a bigger issue nowadays than what it had previously, when Health and Safety was usually of a persons own choosing and being perhaps 'working class'.

Regarding heroic deeds, there are many people out there who have done such things, but have never been rewarded, basically because they considered the job they did, was reward in itself.

One thing that I do know, is in older age you do tend to perhaps think in terms of the inevitable of eventually meeting your maker, as perhaps a lesser concern.

spuds 11:44 21 Feb 2011

You have brought a good point up about going AWOL, and keeping quiet about the fact, especially if an agreement to a cover up seeks its own rewards.

This happens all the time, yet there are many people who would totally deny this type of event actually takes place, especially after a possible inquiry.

Your reference to Brighton, seems to be very similar to the London inquiry taking place at present, and many others past and present beside, and it will continue to be so.

Woolwell 11:52 21 Feb 2011

I'm split between Bingalau and fourm member's views. I have come across bravery because it just happened then there are others especially in the field of mine warfare and bomb disposal which needs a cool kind of courage. It's a long time ago now but I am thinking of the bomb disposal in the Falklands click here.

Dragon_Heart 21:44 21 Feb 2011

I agree 100% with the comments about the men and women of our 999 crews ( I have lost a few good friends as a result ) but I still say the spirit is not so general in today’s society !

Many of the Home Guard were ex service men and women who had had their fair share of death and hardship.

It may be that war brings out the best and worst in people.

Thank you for your replies

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?