Read your Highway code lately?

SparkyJack 11:02 18 Jul 2012
Answered

Here is a conundrum Imagine there ia a road that does a hard right turn.

However from straight ahead there is a drive that proceeds forwards a few meters then does a left turn through a pliiared gate into a premises car park,

The gate is one car wide- vehicles are entering and exiting all the time . Inevitably an in coming vehicle will find that an exiting vehicle is coming through.

They meet nose to nose- no room to manoeuvre - to one side

Who should give way?

Quickbeam 11:09 18 Jul 2012

Give way to the vehicle on the major road in every case when I leant to drive. The major road has to be kept clear for the faster moving traffic so as to avoid accidents.

SparkyJack 11:21 18 Jul 2012

Absolutely QB but

Neither vehicle is on a Highway The exiting vehical has only the path it is on and would have to back past parked vehicles.

The entering vehicle is also 'Off road' at this point and could perhaps back a little

The inter4esting point here is all too often the entering vehicles are still at 'road speed'- a bump will occur one day for sure - if it has not already happened.

Aitchbee 11:21 18 Jul 2012

I watched the first episode of TV's "Doc Martin" recently, on DVD...the Doc was in his car ...driving it (in a hurry) on a very narrow 'country' road and a works' van (also in a hurry) was travellin' straight towards him. Neither of them slowed down...luckily there wasn't an accident. (Real-life is different!).

lotvic 11:34 18 Jul 2012

If "Neither vehicle is on a Highway" the Highway Code does not apply and the drivers will have to sort it out between themselves....

Woolwell 12:03 18 Jul 2012

In country lanes the smallest usually backs up but this depends on whether there is a queue behind it and the reversing ability of the driver and vehicle. You tend not to argue with a lorry or cattle truck! The creation of a passing point would solve the problem.

Woolwell 12:11 18 Jul 2012

Forgot to mention that if on a hill the vehicle coming up has right of way (usually but not always!) Highway code rule 155: 155 "Single-track roads. These are only wide enough for one vehicle. They may have special passing places. If you see a vehicle coming towards you, or the driver behind wants to overtake, pull into a passing place on your left, or wait opposite a passing place on your right. Give way to vehicles coming uphill whenever you can. If necessary, reverse until you reach a passing place to let the other vehicle pass. Slow down when passing pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders."

spuds 12:21 18 Jul 2012

A tricky one is this, because it can all come down to a bully technique of the bigger or aggressive you are?.

Around my neck of the woods, we have a number of signs with big white arrows and little red arrows on them. This is all to do with road safety in difficult access points. Most people respond to the signs, others in a rush might not?.

With regards 'gated' premises, then this is different to un-gated or public freely access premises, like supermarket car-parks. The laws changed a few years back regarding this, when 'Rights of Way' was revised.

In the end it might all come done to a simple 'Due Care and Attention'?.

Quickbeam 12:37 18 Jul 2012

It sounds like another gate should be made to provide a separate in and out.

Forum Editor 13:37 18 Jul 2012

I once spent two days riding in the cab of a Mercedes long-distance haulage truck in connection with a work project. The driver and I had hours in which to talk, and I learnt a lot about his work. I also witnessed some impressive manoeuvring skills by him, and some atrocious behaviour by car drivers.

Since then I have always made a point of giving way to oncoming trucks, whatever the circumstances.

woodchip 16:20 18 Jul 2012

One of my Grips is, Car drivers that do not seem to have any Idea on how to go round an roundabout or turn right across oncoming cars. all seem to just site on the paint marks waiting for a football field space. or they will pull out right in front of you instead of giving way to those coming from the right on a roundabout They have no Idea most drivers to day about Highway code, And most I do not think they know that there is one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?