Read this first if you feel like insulting someone

Forum Editor 09:14 09 Oct 2004

As most of you will know, we don't tolerate personally abusive comments in our forum. It's OK to disagree - that's the way that discussions or debates work - and even to disagree strongly, but when it comes to making offensive remarks of a personal nature we draw the line.
There's been a slight increase in the number of posts that have crossed that line recently, and I've been receiving a lot of mail from forum members expressing concern that it's indicative of a trend. Let me reassure those people that there's no such trend - any post that contains personally insulting comments aimed at an individual, or a group of people will be deleted, and in most cases a warning will be sent to the culprit. I can't always send warnings - on the odd occasion I'm simply too busy - but I'll try. If the post is particularly offensive, or if the person doing the posting has been warned on a previous occasion I'll disable that person's forum membership without any further warning.

We're talking about a very small number of people here - the vast majority of forum members behave impeccably - but it only takes a few fools to turn the atmosphere sour, and I'm not about to let that happen. We all know what is, or isn't a personally abusive comment, and I'm not going to define it here. Suffice it to say that it's fairly easy to recognise the difference between a robust response in a debate, and a comment that's deliberately calculated to offend. Nobody will be banned without a chance to put their case - I'm always contactable by email ([email protected]), and on many occasions I've lifted a ban when presented with an apology and/or a rationale for the transgression.

Forums like this must have rules, and our rules are based on commonsense. Let's try to maintain an atmosphere in which anyone may feel comfortable.

watchful 09:39 09 Oct 2004

I agree, strongly. Personal insults are not welcome at all.

A timely reminder FE.

TOPCAT® 13:22 09 Oct 2004

- added in a post would reveal to people how it was intended to be read. The inability to observe the sender's 'body language' sometimes means a post is taken right out of context. It is also wise to read through your response before posting it. It's too late after that button is pressed!

I am aware that the Forum Editor is not too keen on simple emoticons but in my humble opinion they can help. I await the flack! :o))

Can't say I've yet read what caused the FE to post this thread, so please ignore the above if abuse was blatantly obvious. That has to be stamped out forthwith. TC.

Valvegrid 14:28 09 Oct 2004

I think I'm with you on that one, sometimes I read one of my inane comments and realise it can be taken either way, not always the way I intend it, so a simple emoticon hopefully shows the way I intend it. Not to place one at the end of every sentence which really is annoying.

Forum Editor 15:33 09 Oct 2004

is that they can be used to deliberately disguise a barbed comment - the offensive words are typed, and then a smiley is put at the end, as if to say "I'm only joking", but the damage has been done.

Apart from that, many people scatter their posts with emoticons like confetti - they lose their meaning after a while, because everyone uses them as a matter of course.

We aren't planning to introduce them, we've managed pretty well without them for nearly four years, and if you really want an emoticon you can easily create one on the keyboard.

It's Me 16:20 09 Oct 2004

It is certainly tricky here if you have a quirky sense of humour and come from a place where a spade is a b----y shovel. Walk into a pub around where I live and ask someone how they are, and you can get four different types of answer; the normal one, ie even if dying, I'm fine; what's it got to do with you; the honest one, perhaps like, pretty rough but running; or it's a bit early to ask a fellow a question like that,I've still to check myself out. In every case the person giving the reply will buy you a drink and carry on as normal. Certainly no-one is phased or upset in any way with it. ( My answer is usually the last one).

I've learnt that here even thinking 3 times what to say can be hazardous, as I expect this is.

Taran 16:36 09 Oct 2004

The instance of abuse at the root of this post was indeed blatantly obvious.

Hopefully not too many people saw it - it was entirely out of order, directed at someone without any provocation at all, completely unwarranted and very, very personal and nasty.

There is a certain grey area at times regarding posts where the meaning of the written word and its inherent lack of emotion may lead to misinterpretation. Usually this is quickly and easily dealt with and once the dust settles most involved parties would probably admit that on hindsite, things were perhaps not too serious and they move on.

This was certainly not one of those instances and while the warning issued by Forum Editor also, I imagine, covers certain other posts where posts may have become rather heated at times, what happened recently has never, to my knowledge, happened in the forum before and I hope it never happens again.

To date this forum appears to be quite unique in the overall atmosphere and generally impeccable conduct of its members. I'm sure we'd all like to see it continue like that and there really isn't any reason why it shouldn't.

TOPCAT® 16:44 09 Oct 2004

I meant the typed versions of course, of which it is said I am guilty of using at times. But, as Peter says, even those can be abused by some which is a damned shame :o( TC.

stalion 17:46 09 Oct 2004

Can not find this in the help room where most of the recent offendings have taken place.
How ever agreee totally with F.E. just a shame this has to be put here at all

stalion 17:48 09 Oct 2004

found it now I am wearing my specs

Jarvo 18:05 09 Oct 2004

and bumping so more will read

Jarvo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?