Rapist Ruling Could Open Floodgates

B42 08:24 30 Jan 2008

click here

Yes he should be forced to pay out. it would only be a dissgrace otherwise.

€dstowe 08:35 30 Jan 2008

Despicable as rape is, there aren't many rapist lottery winners so "floodgates" is not an entirely apt epithet.

Monoux 08:57 30 Jan 2008

I see he was sentenced to 18 years in 1973 for rape, let out early and did it again. This time he gets Life but is out and about again living a life of luxury. Says it all really.

DANZIG 09:03 30 Jan 2008

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised - our judicial system appears to be (for the majority of the time) skewed towards the rights of the perpetrator rather than the rights of the victim.

newman35 10:42 30 Jan 2008

Looks like he has lost, and can be chased for compo

click here

Hope it doesn't take forever.

sunny staines 11:48 30 Jan 2008

how do you get a lottery ticket if you are locked up in a prison cell?

Forum Editor 14:41 30 Jan 2008

this man won the lottery, and as far as the lottery is concerned he is the same as anyone else. He has committed crimes, certainly, but he served the sentences, so legally there's nothing to prevent him from being a lottery winner.

The Law Lords decision (in this case and four others) is a welcome, and long overdue one, and will allow other victims to sue their attackers.

Stuartli 15:05 30 Jan 2008

...if their attackers have any assets to make it worthwhile I would suggest.

Forum Editor 15:06 30 Jan 2008

Yes; one of the problems for victims will be finding out whether their attackers are worth suing.

Pine Man 15:35 30 Jan 2008

My understanding of this issue is that victims have 6 years to sue the offender. All this decision has done is to allow a claim for compensation after that period has expired.

In theory if the rapist, on release from prison, had set himself up in business and done really well making a million or two a court could still come to the same conclusion?

Forum Editor 17:24 30 Jan 2008

The point of this case was that the man concerned had attempted to rape the woman (Mrs. A) twenty years ago. She made a claim for compensation in 2005, a year after the man won £7 million on the lottery, but the high court rejected the claim because of the 6 year rule. The appeal court upheld that decision, but now the Law Lords have ruled the claim can be heard.

It's an important ruling, because sometimes the people who commit these crimes go on to accumulate assets long after their sentences have been served, and now their victims may have a chance to claim financial compensation from them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?