Rape Fields

morddwyd 11:03 30 May 2010

Only eight fields of rape visible from the bedroom window this year.

A few years ago it was twenty eight.

Obviously the market (or the subsidy!) has changed, and yet a lot more rapeseed oil is on display in the supermarkets.

Quickbeam 11:33 30 May 2010

They are however make a nice colourful spring landscape... unless the pollen is a problem for you.

Everytime I walk or drive within a quarter mile of one I get a mustardy burning sensation in my eyes and nasal passages. I have to avoid walking with the dog near it at this time of the year, but the flowers have nearly finished now about 5/6 weeks later than normal.

Noldi 11:42 30 May 2010

With crop rotations, I dont think they plant Rape in the same field every year.

Noldi

al's left peg 12:14 30 May 2010

I think it depends on their previous crops. Last year up here they did not get a lot in because of bad weather. I believe the farmers sign contracts on what to grow on a annual basis for wheat, barley and rape.
A farmer I know is growing loads of it this year because the price of wheat is so low, so he can make a better profit on the rape.

natdoor 12:24 30 May 2010

Well, I think it is an eyesore, in the visual sense. So any reduction in acreage is welcome. Now a field of flax, that is a delight to the eye.

johndrew 15:29 30 May 2010

Does flax seed oil give the same return as rape seed if turned into motor fuel?

I have a suspicion that when any final problems are 'cracked' in turning rape seed into motor fuel at a good economical rate we will see a lot more. However if flax (and other?) seeds could be grown with a similar return on investment then perhaps our landscape would have a more varied appearance.

I also suppose it will depend on the comparative cost of oil, whether another, cheaper source of motive power is found and whether we want to eat in the future!!!

Forum Editor 16:45 30 May 2010

of Rape - that and the fact that average production costs per tonne are over £200, compared to winter wheat at around £115 per tonne.

Rape crops will increase next year if predictions hold good, so you'll see more yellow fields in the spring.

john bunyan 17:19 30 May 2010

This years rapeseed plantings are high :see here:
click here

At one tine the prices for edible oils followed the price of the then dominant world oil : Soyabean oil. Depending on the price obtained for the meal (oil is the smaller fraction) the minimmum economic price for soyabean oil was about $450 per tonne, and other edible oils follow the price of soya oil at premimums or discounts depending on desirabilty (sunflower higher, more unsaturated) . Palm oil has incresed greatly, but so has world demand (Chinese and Indian per caput consumtion increased with their huge population)When edible oils are used for biodiesel they are normally not subject to fuel tax so they are artificially cheap, ad the use in biodiesel has distorted the market.
The subsidies are smaller these days with the change to an area payment. The USA also subsidises in different ways.

john bunyan 17:24 30 May 2010

Flaxseed oil - linseed - is not as flexible in use as rapseed, as it is not really suitable for food use. I am sure that it will continue to be grown but its traditional market in paint is declining due to water based paint legislation.

Forum Editor 17:32 30 May 2010

on cricket bats?

john bunyan 17:38 30 May 2010

I wondered too - it was in about 1954 but I am out of date now!!! I think traditional putty still uses it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache