Random font selection - or the cussedness of a PC!

Diemmess 10:19 05 Oct 2006

Happily running W2K and Aol (BB).... until 2-3 months ago, when I noticed that the response panel in Live Help (AOL) and any Wikipedia screen displayed in a fancy font which at that size was almost unreadable. It seemed to only those two sites!
click here
In that thread I thought the PC was using Brush Script. Any that don't know this font, it looks like a hurried job by Rolf Harris

Not being able to read at the tiny font size even with maximum enlargement only a shade better, I had tried deleting that font with no change of scene.

Today I realised it was Chalkn.TTF that was being used and deleted that.
Immediately the two sites used Powerline! That is an old font best deleted anyway, but when I did that the two sites were now blank (just the response panel in the Aol facility).

I rebooted from cold and now have another oldie Southern, which is similar to Souvenir BUT easily readable.
The point of all this is why is it only these two sites?

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than.... !

wiz-king 11:29 05 Oct 2006

that is near the one used.
The font shown is picked from a list in your PC that is nearest(!!) to the one on the website. If you can find out the font that should be used then if you load it all will(may) be well.
Right click to properties then view source and you may find the font listed. Thgey may have used a font that is not on your PC.

Diemmess 11:49 05 Oct 2006

"Put in a new font --"

Once the particular font had been deleted the computer picked another fancy one, this time easily read!
Why didn't it pick a standard font like arial?

As far as I'm aware this effect occurs with only two sites, or one and a bit! Nowhere else on my internet browsing have I ever had trouble.

Purists may say I have too many fonts, but I guess 174 files is average for anyone dabbling with graphics and publishing over 15 years.
The two mentioned here were picked up with Corel Draw when still in version 3!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?