Ralph Moffat

Pidder 16:05 30 Aug 2006

With thanks to the FE for allowing us to raise all the subjects under the sun on this forum, I wonder just how far PCA spreads it's net.

To the oldies among us, did you listen to AFN – the American Forces Network- just after WW11, and in particular to one Ralph (Muffet) Moffat, a D.J. to whom we used to listen regularly. A number of folks, on both sides of the pond, and doubtless elsewhere, wonder what became of him, but so far no trace. I just wonder whether any of the regulars on this or associated forums might have any info.

cyberping 16:07 30 Aug 2006

Sorry but i was not born until the mid 60's so cant help. I do listen to the UK version in BFBS more @ click here

esbe 16:33 30 Aug 2006

Have a look here

click here

click here;read=11017

cheers.

esbe 16:43 30 Aug 2006

Sorry cant get 2nd link to work now, try google AFN + Ralph Moffat, & link 'Re So Tired'

click here=

Pidder 18:28 30 Aug 2006

Thanks for that.Trying to get more up to date info.

Pidder 18:19 31 Aug 2006

Bump

wiz-king 18:38 31 Aug 2006

After he left the Army he went to work for Radio Luxembourg 208. Try looking in their files.

Diemmess 18:38 31 Aug 2006

I have a signed fan mail photo somewhere of Ralph "Muffit" Moffat.

I used to listen to "AFN Munich Stuttgart 1249 metres on your dial" on a home built radio (headphones under the sheets) "Midnight in Munich" and Charlie Barnett's "Skyliner" was the intro music (Parlophone blue and white label) about 4s 6d a fortune to me.

I sent him a photo saying you too can have a happy face like this if you listen to Midnight in Munich, and a request for something to raise the roof by Woody Herman.
He said I looked as though I had just lost my last friend, and played Bing Crosby and White Christmas!
I forgive him.

Pidder 19:23 31 Aug 2006

Thanks for your responses. I had heard that he went to Radio Luxembourg but their web site only makes a passing reference and includes an enquiry from, I believe, a Peter Roberts also seeking more recent info. This is only personal curiosity but I too like to recall the old days! I wonder if your photo, Diemmess, was the one I also had of him in his rather snazzy pajamas. Regretfully have it no longer.

Diemmess 19:57 31 Aug 2006

The photo and I can't find mine, was that of a clean cut "amurrican boh" with collar, tie, shortsleeve pullover and a black "Brylcreem" hairdo.
My jingle doen't seem quite right... perhaps 100,000 watts each and 1240 metres on your dial.

I know it was an impressive transmitter in early '47 and I missed it when it closed.

Pidder 11:09 02 Sep 2006

Bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires