Rail Tickets

egapup 08:29 28 Nov 2007

Heard on the TV this morning that rail fares are set to soar, one reason for this is to stop people actually using the service because they cant afford longer stations or the purchase of extra carriages. WHAT???

octal 09:06 28 Nov 2007

That's not what was said yesterday, have a look at the video on the right click here

It seems like the government think the rail users should pay more to reduce the burden on the tax payer. I thought most of the people using the rail network were tax payers anyway, so this is just going to fuel inflation a bit more.

HCOOH 10:06 28 Nov 2007

People travel off peak because it is(was) cheaper. If they jack the fares up then you may as well travel when you like and the congestion will probably get worse. A lot of the World's railways are run as a service to the public and never make a profit, they are in fact subsidised by their Governments but alas not in this Sceptered Island. I wonder how long it will take for the spokesperson of the company concerned to blame it all on the Freedom Pass/ phases of the Moon/wrong kind of leaves,snow or rain/price of fish/etc.

beeuuem 12:32 28 Nov 2007

08/05/2007 From click here
South West Trains claims that the increases are necessary to reduce overcrowding on trains arriving in London before noon.

10/07/2007 From click here
First Great Western, which made a secret agreement with the Government to run fewer carriages in order to maximise profits, has been exposed as the operator of Britain’s most over-crowded train service.

There are other examples, such as the service which was cut as too many people wanted to use the available trains.

These illustrate the point made by egapup that increases in price are used to actually reduce the number of passengers or maximise profit, not necessarily to fund, wholly or in part, improvements in services.
While it would be very nice if the services could be wholly self funding there are no train services which run at a profit, although with the current fares in Britain thee operators are obviously trying to rectify this. As with other services, the overall benefit of rail services to the country for the transport of goods and passengers may well justify a subsidy.

oresome 13:27 28 Nov 2007

HCOOH,

The UK railways are subsidised by the taxpayer to the tune of £5 Billion a year.

The majority of the population probably never goes on a train and I don't think much frieght is carried these days, so it's a substantial sum for the numbers carried.

Stuartli 13:31 28 Nov 2007

It's typical of politicians, especially the current shambles, to use every means possible to get people using public transport and then move the goalposts.

Similar with the 24-hour drinking law - introduce it and then blame the sale of cheap drinks in supermarkets for town and city centres' binge drinking.

ventanas 13:36 28 Nov 2007

Does it really matter. I know that I will have to continue paying the ever increasing charge to travel on ever more crowded trains every weekday morning and evening. The railways are failing miserably in keeping up with passenger numbers. The condition of the rolling stock is usually disgusting, and they are the most inefficient organisation on earth when it comes to timekeeping.

I would like to see legislation specifying minimum (high) standards that must be adhered to before there can be any talk of fare increases. For all I know such legislation may be already in place. If so it's woefully inadequate. But it is about time that the franchise holders were forced into action, with extreme penalties if they fail.

Bingalau 15:24 28 Nov 2007

Hand it over lock stock and barrel to be run by the people who run the German rail network.

spuds 15:37 28 Nov 2007

Its cheaper to fly by air ;o)

Jak_1 15:45 28 Nov 2007

Its cheaper to fly by air ;o)

I thought that going by air was the only way you could fly :)

oresome 15:52 28 Nov 2007

No, you can fly by the seat of your pants!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?