Rage for Christmas?

OTT_Buzzard 17:18 14 Dec 2009

There's quite a big movement this year to prevent the X Factor winner from reaching the coveted Christmas number 1. It comes in the form of urging people to buy Rage Against the machine - Killing in the Name of.

Personally, I kinda support this action, as militant as it might be. Not because I dislike the X Factor (I don't often watch it) or the winner.

It's more becuase I don't like the knock on affect it has on the rest of the UK music industry. Putting karaoke singers on public trial for a few months is not the same as trialling musicians who can write, produce and perform their own music. For every X Factor winner out there, that's one other act that is displaced and less original talent that gets heard.
Maybe if the X Factor had shows where the 'candidates' are expected to write and produce their own music it might make a world of difference to the results......

I'm not saying that all X factor winners are creatively inept, but I've not seen much evidence to the contrary.

Apparently some 700000 Facebook group members think on similar lines. How about the PCA community?

Al94 17:53 14 Dec 2009

Well, 19.1 million viewers watched the final, 62% of the viewing audience - kinda hard to argue with that.

Quiller. 18:14 14 Dec 2009

If people don't like the music they would not

vote for it.
buy it.

Look at PCA's Pavvi. A world wide success.
Susan Boyle. A world wide success.

Ordinary people with an extraordinary talent.

canarieslover 18:38 14 Dec 2009

Seeing Paul McCartney on the final show made me realise that if X Factor had been around in the 60's we probably would not have got The Beatles or The Rolling Stones. The whole set-up of X Factor seems to be intent on producing a 'Jack of all trades' rather than a 'Master of one'. Several of the competitors would fit quite happily into musical productions on stage but none of them seemed to have any intention, or were not allowed, to go near to the leading edge of modern music. Simon Cowell seems to have successfully dumbed music down unfortunately.

AL47 19:13 14 Dec 2009

i found his comment funny about how all these people buying the rage were preventing up and comming up and coming young talent..

only to later hear that unless itv pay him more he wont let them have it

hmmmmmmmmm

i dont even know what the winner looks like

OTT_Buzzard 19:28 14 Dec 2009

I'm not making an argument for liking the music. I'm saying that it prevents new music and talented musicians from reaching a mass audience.

As far as the X Factor goes, it only checks to see if the public might like the way they sing. Nothing else. This year with 'Jedward' is testament to that. It is however, a very well produced TV entertainment show.

I wasn't aware that 'Pavvi' was Paul Potts. Although i have a great deal of time for his voice (really), it doesn't change my argument for the X Factor, which is supposed to be about pop music.

Condom 20:30 14 Dec 2009

How come we are never told the number of votes given for each artist?

Hercule Marple 21:30 14 Dec 2009

Think I'll make do with me Hank Williams, cheers.

dagbladet 21:31 14 Dec 2009

"How come we are never told the number of votes given for each artist?"

No idea, does it bother you?

dagbladet 21:31 14 Dec 2009

I meant, WHY does it bother you?

Quiller. 21:56 14 Dec 2009

" I'm saying that it prevents new music and talented musicians from reaching a mass audience. "

There is nothing stopping this new music and talented musicians from auditioning for these type of show. There is a vast range of other media they could perform on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?