Q:You have a broken headlight. Do you-

WhiteTruckMan 17:42 31 Jan 2009

a) Ignore it

b) Use your front fog lamps along with your side lights so no one can tell

c) Make it right by using your main beams instead

d) Don't worry about it because your best mate plays golf with the chief constable

or

e) carry a note from your mum.

Answer: none of the above. BUY A NEW BULB, YOU CHEAP ASSES! And when you do, USE the damn things. It isnt good enough to drive with bulbs the size of bycycle lamps at 70+ mph after dark, even if you can see ok by the streetlights!

WTM

Pamy 17:46 31 Jan 2009

once you are aware of the fault(which should be within 24 Hrs, then fix it it

canarieslover 17:53 31 Jan 2009

Lidl and Aldi often have packs of repacement bulbs in a plastic case. I believe these are a 'must carry' item on the continent. I check my lights regularly in the window of my local Lidl's as I drive into the disabled bay one day and reverse in the next. No need to even get out of the car or get to get someone else to check them. Mind you the lady on the till did ask me one day why I was flashing my lights at her.

oresome 18:01 31 Jan 2009

"Mind you the lady on the till did ask me one day why I was flashing my lights at her."

Have the vice squad called round yet?

I think they've heard all the excuses before.

Forum Editor 18:21 31 Jan 2009

but I'm getting this overwhelming feeling that someone with a broken headlight has crossed your path recently.

I can't remember the last time I had a broken headlight, but if it happened my car seems to have enough lights on it to illuminate a small town, so I suppose I would flick a switch or turn a dial, and get a substitute light working until I could get into a garage.

WhiteTruckMan 18:23 31 Jan 2009

without working headlights that might just be a stab in the dark:)

WTM

Chris the Ancient 18:26 31 Jan 2009

... to the luverly packs you can get with replacement bulbs in...

With some modern cars, replacement of bulbs needs a degree in mechanical engineering, a very complex tool kit, plenty of time and an extremely good vocabulary of swear words. OR... a trip to the local applicable car dealers, a large wallet and plenty of free time.

Why, oh why, do they make the bulbs on some cars so difficult to change?

CtA

gartoy 18:35 31 Jan 2009

The dipped beam went on my left headlight so I got a bulb for £6 from my local autoshop, the guy helpfully advised I might need to loosen the battery clamp & shift the battery slightly to remove the back panel off the headlamp cluster. Still couldnt get the panel off even with battery removed, so had to unclip lots of wires & remove battery tray. Actual bulb change took 2 mins.

Forum Editor 18:35 31 Jan 2009

I was driving along highway 163 in Arizona. It was a beautiful night, and I was in no hurry, dreaming of Thelma and Louise,no doubt, when without warning I was treated to the biggest blaze of light in my rear view mirror that I have ever seen.

Visions of alien spacecraft briefly flitted across my mind before reality took hold, and with a massive blast on the horn this huge Kenworth truck swept past like a train. If he had one light on the front he had twenty,and I got the lot on full beam.

I followed him for miles, toying with the idea of doing the same thing to him, but I doubt that my Avis Chevrolet Impala would have created much of an impression, even with all its lights on.

WhiteTruckMan 18:51 31 Jan 2009

Nope-hate them as well. OK for shows, but a set of multiple spotlights suitable for a lonely crossing of the rockies at 3am are a downlight menace on the M6. ANd when one of these coca cola cowboy wannabees actually flash you in after you overtake them you end up as a candidate for a cornea transplant, such is the dazzle factor in your mirrors.

And I also hate following rigs for mile after mile with 80+ red lights staring back at me.

WTM

Forum Editor 23:56 31 Jan 2009

In Australia the road trains (they also seem to be pulled by Kenworths for the most part) are around 150 feet long, and to make matters worse they tend to travel in convoys, particularly at night.

You come up behind one - lots of red lights, just the same - and sit there for a few miles, plucking up the courage to pull out and overtake; or at least I do. Finally you pull out and accelerate, only to find that instead of one 150 foot vehicle you have to pass four or five of them, and it seems to take an eternity. They travel pretty close together, and in any case you wouldn't want to be in between a couple of them in a car. The dust is horrendous, and I was told it's best to floor the pedal and hope you clear the convoy before a pickup full of sheep station workers comes the other way on its way home from the local bar.

The M25 in the rain seems positively friendly by comparison.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?