"The Court of Public Opinion"

Colin 12:33 06 Jul 2011

I seem to hear this phrase quite often lately, particularly from MP’s and the media. In my opinion such a phrase is lazy and reckless. I won’t specify the issues in which I’ve heard it mentioned, as that will distract from the point of the post, but it smacks of Kangaroo Courts, where you can whip up enough public emotion that people believe these things must be true, i.e. allegations accepted as fact, no smoke without fire.

Why bother with the judiciary etc when you can get someone to say something so much that in “the court of public opinion”, it’s true?

Quickbeam 12:40 06 Jul 2011

The court of public opinion influences the making of new laws.

Quickbeam 12:40 06 Jul 2011

...and always has.

HondaMan 13:17 06 Jul 2011

That, I am afraid, is the price we pay for modern advances in news reporting. Years ago, if a man was accused of child molestation, it was largely unknown outside the immediate family, now within 5 minutes of being arrested, or even suspected, there is usually a lynch-mob nearby

HondaMan 13:18 06 Jul 2011

That, I am afraid, is the price we pay for modern advances in news reporting. Years ago, if a man was accused of child molestation, it was largely unknown outside the immediate family, now within 5 minutes of being arrested, or even suspected, there is usually a lynch-mob nearby

spuds 19:11 06 Jul 2011

Perhaps just another PR exercise,it will keep the serfs happy.

daz60 21:00 06 Jul 2011

"the court of public opinion" has found many people guilty,Dominic Strauss-Kahn being the latest one.He may be found wanting in other respects but it is media led diatribes against,in the main,public figures that is the main cause of friction between the public's understanding of the law and the judiciary s interpretation of the law. I for one cannot fathom some of the decisions made as related via the media,because they are the prism through which we access information. Are they the 'defenders' of our "freedoms" or merely the arbiters of taste.!??

Condom 23:30 06 Jul 2011

The problem with the media today seems to be that it is making the news rather than reporting it. And it is not just here as a day or so ago the court of public opinion in the USA was already measuring some mother for her electric chair when she was declared innocent of killing her daughter and there were red faces all around.

Personally I haven't bought a newspaper for 15 years and I can't say that I miss them or that my knowledge of world affairs has got any less.

Aitchbee 10:21 07 Jul 2011

I have been the (innocent) victim of personal views from a close one which have been unfounded (you have to believe me on this one).Step it up by a million...this can be hyped up? Big money is involved if mega names are mentioned.A thick-skin policy is best observed. Shady lawyers are waiting for gullible people to fleece their coffers.

Shopgirl 08:45 09 Jul 2011

I have also been a victim of personal views I have learned to keep my views to myself.

morddwyd 08:54 09 Jul 2011

"I have learned to keep my views to myself."

And the loudmouthed liars have won.

It's difficult, but you should stand and fight.

The "Court of Public Opinion" is not like a nprmal court.

Silence will be regarded as an admission of guilt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?