Queueing at Threshers this weekend?

oresome 19:27 01 Dec 2006

"Off-licence chain Threshers is braced for an onslaught of bargain-hunting drinkers as an online discount voucher is downloaded by millions of people."

click here

Apparently it's called viral marketing.

spikeychris 19:28 01 Dec 2006

You can still get it cheaper in most superstores.

season8 19:52 01 Dec 2006

Their prices as spikeychris mentions are more than the leading supermarkets. Reports on the news is that this is a marketing ploy to make the consumer think they are geting a good deal and the "offer" was no mistake.

anskyber 19:54 01 Dec 2006

What an absolutely marvellous marketing scam. 40% off so you can buy it at the same price or thereabouts as your local supermarket.

A really good way to get trade switching at Xmas.

The Brigadier 20:09 01 Dec 2006

It's a good ploy, just all those who rushed out to buy loads of drink now realise they have been done by the marketing ploy of threshers and prices are cheaper if you go to asda!!

Forum Editor 22:36 01 Dec 2006

Are you saying that Asda's prices are lower than the Threshers special offer prices? That would mean that normaly, customers are paying at least 40% more to buy alcohol from Threshers, which I find hard to believe.

I also find it hard to believe that over a million people would bother to download the Thresher discount voucher if they were beng 'done' by a marketing ploy. Surely you aren't the only one who knows that Asda are cheaper?

ulrich 09:36 02 Dec 2006

Last night they showed compared some prices with the 40% discount prices were about the same. No Threshers by me so can't compare.

The Brigadier 10:51 02 Dec 2006

It's a great marketing ploy to get people to think that they are getting something on the cheap, that really they should not have this voucher, they then go to the shop and buy lots of cheap booze.

It was mentioned on the news last night that a lot of people had got the voucher, but that Threshers pricing was high and that most of the offers could be had cheaper in the supermarkets.

Forum Editor 10:57 02 Dec 2006

You're right - there has been a good deal of talk about the offer not being quite as sensational as some people thought. I tried to do some price comparions last night, but of course I couldn't get onto the Threshers site - it crashed under the load of all those people downloading vouchers.

Kate B 12:19 02 Dec 2006

I've had that voucher arrive several times by email. Shame I don't drink!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?