Questions to ask the terrorist when he calls

Chegs ®™ 06:31 18 Aug 2009

Our local newspaper has an amusing little piece within...

Tidying up the office revealed a curious document from 2001-a memo from the Constabulary on what to do when a bomb threat is phoned in to the newspaper.

It includes a list of questions to ask the caller including,not surprisingly,"where is the bomb right now?" But it also includes the questions: "What is your name,address and telephone number?"

One wonders how many terrorists answered these questions. :)

crosstrainer 07:26 18 Aug 2009

Political correctness gone mad.....Any IED (improvised explosive device) Is hard, if not impossible to detect, and of course they will reveal location / phone numbers etc.

Fact is, IED's are not "Fair" You can make one in a shed, and if you happen to believe that you go straight to your maker, well no defense I know of would work.

crosstrainer 08:40 18 Aug 2009

..Nice idea, and without wishing to offend religious faiths anywhere, How would you implement the scheme?

Everyone has the right to practice their own beliefs / faith.

As long as it does not involve killing, then that's fine.

I think we have to bear in mind that a very small minority of fanatics exist.

DANZIG 08:41 18 Aug 2009

We've had the same thing at our place - the idea is to keep them on the phone for as long as possible.

While you're asking questions it's not particularly the answers you're listening to. You're listening to the accent, try to gauge age, listen to whats in the background etc.

Particularly relevant for my business when you consider the company I work for...

click here

interzone55 08:45 18 Aug 2009

No more stupid than the questions on the US Visa Waiver

"Have you ever been or are you now involved in espionage or sabotage; or in terrorist activities; or genocide; or between 1933 and 1945 were involved, in any way, in persecutions associated with Nazi Germany or its allies?"

Who's going to answer Yes?

WhiteTruckMan 08:51 18 Aug 2009

when we got 'improvised explosive device'.

Whats wrong with plain old 'bomb'?

WTM

crosstrainer 08:59 18 Aug 2009

Keeping "Them" on the phone has an obvious advantage....Calls can be traced if the connection is held long enough.

Chuck away mobiles (about a tenner I think)

crosstrainer 09:01 18 Aug 2009

And of course you would answer "Yes" to all of the above....And refused entry...Daft isn't it?

SimpleSimon1 09:50 18 Aug 2009

>No more stupid than the questions on the US Visa
>Waiver

There's also another question along the lines of
"are you entering to commit a crime" but, actually, as was explained to me a long time ago by an anmerican lawyer friend, it's a very sneaky piece of lateral thinking by the authorities.

Bottom line is if you later commit a crime or are discovered to have been involved in any way with espionage etc etc etc, regardless of whether you are prosecuted for the crime and regardless of the sentance, you have automatically made a false declaration on your Visa declaration and can be summarily deported.

Compare this with the British approach whereby a judge can only recommend you for deportation and it still has to grind through various tribunals, appeals etc (always assuming that the Home Office actually remember about you).

SimpleSimon1 09:58 18 Aug 2009

>Another piece of PC nonsense when we got >'improvised explosive device'.
>
>Whats wrong with plain old 'bomb'

Uhm, it's nothing to do with PC - it's a simple millitary definition. If someone tells you to defuse something, you want to know whether it's standard ordinance (which, hopefully, you might have specs, manual and/or procedures for) or something homemade/improvised in which case all bet's are off and you need to approach it in very different way.

It might be somewhat tounge-in-cheek but it seems to me that it's PC these days to blame everything on being PC :-)

crosstrainer 10:06 18 Aug 2009

I wasn't, and I don't...It's just that you have to so careful about what you say, what you print and ones general demeanor.

Nuts? Yes

Posting a full on no holds barred will get you banned from every web forum in the world...Yes I know others in the "Underground" can post as they wish.

Big Brother aka HMG is always watching.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone