Question Time debacle.

bri-an 07:26 28 May 2010

The new Government didn't seem to do itself any favours, in it's promised open government, by it's refusal to let a Minister appear because Campbell was on the panel.

click here

Good on the BBC for not bowing to the pressure.

Al94 07:53 28 May 2010

The Government were spot on with this decision. It was not to be a balanced panel with labour represented by an unelected "master of spin". I am glad to see this Government showing signs of standing up to the media.

morddwyd 07:55 28 May 2010

""Before a final decision was made on who might appear on behalf of the government.............."

Interesting comment from a Downing Street spokesman - "On behalf of the government".

This is meant to be a question and answer session not a full blown parliamentary debate.

While the BBC has to show balance, I don't think that "on behalf of the government" is necessary.

Sorry if I'm being tedious.

Þ² 08:53 28 May 2010

I watched the show and it was definately akin to Jeremy Kyle style TV. The audience cheered when ANY of them appeared to be on the "attack" regardless of what was said. Are they prompted?

The Government was right to refuse a Minister.

bri-an 09:13 28 May 2010

"This is meant to be a question and answer session.."
Completely agree.

The individual composition of the rest of the panel should surely have no real bearing. A Minister of the Crown should be able to 'look after themself' regardless. But to refuse to appear because of another panellist gives the appearance of 'running scared'.
I might have understood if the reason had been a BNP or other 'extremist' - but Campbell?
Good thinking (by DC, presumably) that it would have been the LibDem - guess where the 'blame' will land?

birdface 09:35 28 May 2010

Maybe they did not want to discuss the Queens Speech and why everyone in the country new what it was all about even before the Queen.
No doubt that would have been one of the questions asked.
Even the Speaker in the house of commons rebuked them during the week and said it must not happen again.
Whether it is a mudfight or serious debate they have to stand up and be counted.
No use avoiding issues let them get on with it and answer the questions as best as they can and counter react with some of their own.
The old saying is When the going gets tough The Tough get going.
No use hiding away that is a sign of weakness.

Þ² 10:51 28 May 2010

"No use hiding away that is a sign of weakness."

dumbing down indeed

Is it a sign of weakness? I'd argue the opposite.

Refusing to play ball with a tainted panel organised by a lefty broadcaster is a sign of strength IMO.

jack 11:15 28 May 2010

When the programme compiler produces a list of panelists for given broadcast - those selected a 'I'll not appear with him/her from the proposed themselves - bit a storm in a teacup if you ask me.

bri-an 11:26 28 May 2010

"Alistair Campbell is a loathesome (sic) lying dirtbag "

Why not get really personal??

"Do you watch the show"

Do you?

My point was that, regardless of who else is on the 'debating' panel, it should not be the reason for the Government refusing attendance. It suggests they can't hack it.

Þ² 11:32 28 May 2010

I'd get banned if I gave my full opinion of Campbell.

The coalition is staying out of the TV gutter, that's commendable.

simonjary 11:47 28 May 2010

Surely the question is why didn't Labour send a Shadow Minister..?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017