A question of personality?

Phate 14:27 28 Dec 2008

Hi all,

I have recently come across a situation where I have the option of doing something that I really really want to do, however doing so may lead to problems later down the line (this is with respect to a certain young lady).

The question is this - is it best to adopt a "make the most out of life" philosophy and throw caution to the wind or to play it safe?

What do you all think?

g0nvs 14:33 28 Dec 2008

You would have to be more specific if you wanted a proper answer.

alB 14:36 28 Dec 2008
  GANDALF <|:-)> 15:01 28 Dec 2008

Live fast, die young and leave a good-looking corpse.

Work like you don't need the money and dance like no one is watching.

Shrouds don't have pockets.

G

Toneman 15:14 28 Dec 2008

Many years ago I read in one of Arthur Ransome's books "grab a chance and you won't be sorry for a 'might have been'".

Pineman100 17:39 28 Dec 2008

Nobody can advise you on your course of action. The choice you make will have to be dictated by your own attitudes to the various outcomes of your decision.

If you really feel that you need to try and weigh up the pros and cons, then perhaps you should do exactly that.

Make a list of the pros and a list of the cons. Allocate each one a value, according to your attitude towards it, then tot up the points.

That will give you an empirical indication of what you really want to, and therefore should, do.

It's all highly subjective, of course, but in this kind of situation, objectivity is almost impossible.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:49 28 Dec 2008

Just go for it, you never know when you are going to be run over by a bus, which is why I always wear clean boxers whenever I leave the house.

By faffing around and weighing up all the pros and cons you will only end up like countless computer buyers who are so confused that they cannot make a decision. You cannot influence thye future but you can make it.

G

canarieslover 18:00 28 Dec 2008

Very few people actually get a chance to do what they really, really want to do. Explain it to the young lady, and how much you want to do it, and she will either back you up or not. If she will back you up, all well and good. If not then you know where you stand in the relationship. That's when you know which of the two is what you really, really want.

DANZIG 20:36 28 Dec 2008

...to lie on their death bed thinking, "I wish I'd have (insert own idea here)"?

I don't for sure.

Get on and do it (whatever it is)

lotvic 21:48 28 Dec 2008

If your 'young lady' hinders you from doing what you 'really really want to do' won't you end up resenting her in the future?

DANZIG 22:16 28 Dec 2008

...that approach HAS actually got me into trouble in the past, nothing illegal (I'm not THAT daring).

You just have to think if you can live with the minor amount of trouble you MIGHT get into, or the lifetime of regret you WILL have for not doing it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?