the queen's new buggy

sunnystaines 10:33 04 Jun 2014

click here she has a shed full of them, why waste so uch public money on another when spending is so tight.

I feel this is bad and should have been cancelled before it started and money diverted to decent uses like NHS,road maintence etc.

When

fourm member 11:01 04 Jun 2014

Why let facts get in the way of a good rant?

After an initial grant of Au$245k from the Australian government a request for Au$5m was turned down. The news reports online don't specify exactly who paid but the impression is that the designer funded it himself.

Aitchbee 11:01 04 Jun 2014

I wonder if it's got a satnav ...

carver 11:35 04 Jun 2014

I believe a lot of the money came from Jim Frecklington who built it and it's about time she got something to recognise the fact she is one of the longest serving monarchs this country has had.

She does a lot, or has done in the past to promote this country and if you looked at the amount of time she has spent doing it she deserves some new comfort.

Aitchbee 12:08 04 Jun 2014

... the Irish Coach which Charles 'n' Camilla were using today at The Queen's Speech was bought by Queen Victoria in 1852 for £700 quid ... money well spent!

Quickbeam 12:19 04 Jun 2014

So well spent that they ordered another just like it.

No independent suspension, no electric windows, no electric lights, no pneumatic tyres, no alloy wheels. not even a none-equine power unit!

These retro motorless carriages will never catch on...

Woolwell 12:21 04 Jun 2014

I have looked this up and all that I can find is that this is a gift to the Queen paid for by private donations. It hasn't cost the taxpayer or the Queen anything. So how can zero pounds be diverted?

spuds 12:31 04 Jun 2014

Just goes to show what limits the UK go to, in the security of our ruling head.

If that had been America or perhaps some other dot on the globe, the carriage would have been designed bombproof, with the chance the public would have not been able to see who was inside.

Forum Editor 12:42 04 Jun 2014

Woolwell

"So how can zero pounds be diverted?"

Exactly, but as someone else has said - never let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

carver 13:45 04 Jun 2014

The new coach may look old fashioned but it has better suspension than a lot of cars and you don't need pneumatic tyres when it will only go at about 5-10 mph , pneumatic tyres can also go flat.

And who says it's not bullet or bomb proof you'd be surprised how well it's built.

Al94 13:50 04 Jun 2014

"No independent suspension, no electric windows, no electric lights, no pneumatic tyres, no alloy wheels. not even a none-equine power unit!

These retro motorless carriages will never catch on..."

Actually it does have alloy wheels and electrics click here

The coach has now been purchased by the Royal Collection Trust, which will put it on public display in the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace from Sunday. A spokesman refused to disclose how much they paid for it, and whether Mr Frecklington remains out of pocket. But Mr Frecklington has said he regards his endeavours as “money well spent” and “good value”.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?