Quantum computers

VNAM75 00:28 01 Jul 2008

Wouldn't mind one in a "few" years. Interesting article from the Telegraph:

click here

Interesting information:

• A working quantum computer could be so mind-bogglingly powerful that it would solve in seconds certain problems that would take the fastest supercomputer millions of years to complete.

• Consumers, credit card companies and high-tech firms rely on cryptography to protect sensitive information. The basis for encryption systems is that computers would need thousands of years to factor a large number, making it very difficult to do. But a QC could break the most complicated encryption in hours.

Chegs ®™ 05:07 01 Jul 2008

Consumers, credit card companies and high-tech firms rely on cryptography to protect sensitive information. The basis for encryption systems is that computers would need thousands of years to factor a large number...

Or simply wait for the sensitive documents to be left on a train or posted to us. :)

wiz-king 05:30 01 Jul 2008

Oh well then - we will just have to use it first - making encryption that much tougher.

interzone55 08:48 01 Jul 2008

Quantum computers have the potential to break encryption keys that would take supercomputers would struggle for years over, in seconds.

For this reason the NSA are looking very carefully at this technology.

Last summer the NSA had to switch off the air-con in their Fort Meade HQ because the supercomputers they were using to break encrypted emails were using all the available power from their local grid.
click here

sunny staines 16:20 01 Jul 2008

Quantum science is a fantastic science I enjoy reading the many articles, It is the science of the future.

beam me up.

sunny staines 16:45 01 Jul 2008

another read

click here

with further links

Eow is nighe 16:49 01 Jul 2008

OMG "Typical personal computers calculate 64 bits of data at a time. A 64- qubit quantum computer would be about 18 billion billion times faster"

words are not available at this moment...

VNAM75 22:45 01 Jul 2008

sunny staines, in your link there is

"Researchers at IBM have built quantum computers.."

and

There are several reasons that researchers are working so hard to develop a practical quantum computer

Scientists at Los Alamos National Labs, IBM, CalTech and Oxford University are among the leaders in the quest to build a quantum computer.

So are quantum computers in existence or not at present?

interzone55 08:48 02 Jul 2008

click here

This link has a timeline of quantum computing, the biggest currently working is 12-qubits

carver 12:17 02 Jul 2008

Well, if some one can explain in simple terms how they work I would be very pleased because I started reading about them and the brain just went into over load.

When you start to try and reason that some thing can be both a positive AND a negative at the same time or is neither of the two, then my sense of reason just goes into a brak down.

My understanding of quantum mechanics is that even trying to look at the outcome can effect the end results.

See, told you brain gone dead

interzone55 12:33 02 Jul 2008

There's nothing simple about quantum computers - which is the reason it's taken so long to develop as system that only has 12 qubits.

My head started aching just reading the timeline in my last link

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017