Quad bike tragedy...

Quickbeam 07:44 28 Dec 2007

click here I can't believe anyone would buy young children one of these, let alone allow them onto a public road without any experience, ignoring the licence and insurance requirements. It's reported that the father had them following his Range Rover... not even in close supervision of them.

The other driver is reported to be a suspected drunk driver, if this is the case they will let the irresponsible father off a bit as the law will then decide a drunk shouldn't be on the road at all, their action in being on the road was the major fault.

On drink driving, I have worked with a voluntary zero limit for years when driving. You never know when someone else will cause an accident. If you're over the limit, the law decides it's all your fault, because you're the drunk, you shouldn't have been on the road at all.

octal 09:13 28 Dec 2007

I think it's irrelevant what they do to that father because he is going to have that on his conscience for the rest of his life, I think that's punishment enough and a lesson to us all.

Stuartli 10:31 28 Dec 2007

>>The other driver is reported to be a suspected drunk driver,>>

This is not so - she tested negative for drink and drugs and was released without charge - and is a classic example of why not to rush into foregone conclusions.

She had immediately stopped after the accident, but was eventually assured by the girl's father that she would be alright and continued her journey. It was later that the child's condition became critical.

The sad fact remains that a young child or children should not have been riding such a machine on public roads and, even more so, deliberately being required to follow a car in the dark at the same time.

Quickbeam 10:35 28 Dec 2007

"This is not so"...

The last I read was the other driver was bailed, if it's now no charge, then the father will face a much more severe charge in allowing this to happen.

Chegs ®™ 13:05 28 Dec 2007

"The RAM and Shark 100cc Quad Bikes are perfect for youngsters and are raced by children from eight years old, although parents should note the bike features ..."

Just did a quick google and found this description for shark quads(the type this girl is reported to have been riding)

I hate these dam machines(and mini-motos)as we have a cycle-track(coast-to-coast network)very nearby.It is commonly used by idiots on these type of machines,and despite the police impounding the machines,when caught the owners complain the police should be catching real criminals.I have been run-over once while walking the dog,I have also been arrested as I was out one evening(thinking,its dark,they'll not be about)with the dog,I heard another of these bloody machines approaching so stood just off the path in the bushes and when he came hurtling down the track reached out and shoved him hard.He crashed into the bushes on the other side of the path,dug out his mobile and reported me.I wasnt charged with anything,but warned by the police not to do such a thing again.He was charged with various offences,had his motorcycle impounded,etc but was right back on the cycle-track the next day on a quad instead. :(

Forum Editor 13:34 28 Dec 2007

"I heard another of these bloody machines approaching so stood just off the path in the bushes and when he came hurtling down the track reached out and shoved him hard.He crashed into the bushes on the other side of the path,dug out his mobile and reported me."

I would have done the same thing, I don't think I've heard of a more irresponsible act for a long time. To deliberately plan to push someone off a bike that was, in your own words "hurtling down the track" leaves me wondering quite which one of you was the bigger idiot.

Quickbeam 14:47 28 Dec 2007

The mistake was in not to immediately call the police yourself and make a complaint that you had been run down by a madmad riding like a bat out of hell...

Forum Editor 15:26 28 Dec 2007

Except that he hadn't been run down by anyone.

oresome 15:36 28 Dec 2007

A moment of anger could so easily end in tragedy with you in court facing a manslaughter charge.

I know the feeling of anger, as I've feared for my life taking the dog a walk when motorbikes have roared past with young lads on them, mostly without crash helmets.

Where are the parents? They must know what there offsprings are up to. They could at least ensure they wear helmets, even if they don't give a fig for anyone elses safety.

Quickbeam 16:03 28 Dec 2007

We had a young lad (15/16) a few years back that used to ride up the pavement to the green lane up the road at full throttle on a competition tuned crosser.

After repeated complaints to the police, parents and the person in question, it took a neighbours dog to spook him as he went by for the final time... this life.

I believe that the police can now take away bikes used illegally, for the safety of all concerned.

I like bikes, always have, and have competed in the past on them, but public roads are a place that too many adults seem to think young riders/drivers are exempt from adult responsibilities.

Jak_1 17:06 28 Dec 2007

Please define the term 'drunk'.
As has been noted, she passed the breatherlyser at the police staion. Had she not it would have be driving with excess alcohol.
The irrespionsible father has in one go, ruined many lives by breaking the law on at least 4 counts! If he does not end up with a custodial sentence then something is drastically wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone