Put up income tax

n47. 08:39 14 Jul 2011

Now. Past governments have steadily reduced income tax to sweeten us before elections but now is the time to put it up to stop the spiraling borrowing.

click here

Quickbeam 09:03 14 Jul 2011

Yes, we need some more money for the exchequer to hand out to the non-contributors in society.

Or we could just keep our belts tightened a while longer and save a bit more on national wastage and EU bailouts etc.

johndrew 10:21 14 Jul 2011

Whilst I recognise the problems we have as a country financially, I also see huge sums of money given to the undeserving and non-contributors. For example, recently there was one adult male who had spent his life between prison and claiming benefit who stated that he had no intention of ever working - at least legally.

Many years ago the inmates of our prisons were given work to do - manufacturing mail bags, mending the armed services boots and similar. Obviously these types of work no longer exist, but I feel certain that something better than those occupations currently provided which would generate good for the country could be found. It may even stimulate some, on release, to find productive employment.

There are others (e.g. girls that deliberately get pregnant to get a house/flat and benefits) who obviously are unwilling to obtain gainful employment. Such people should not be treated as victims - the children may be though - and should be stripped of benefits and put into organisations where child care is provided whilst they are put to work.

I feel UK society has become far too free with handouts to the undeserving at the expense of both those who genuinely need help and the taxpayers. Perhaps we would not need to tighten our belts quite as much if those who currently fail to even attempt to pull their weight were forced to do so.

userious? 10:30 14 Jul 2011

johndrew Yep...totally agree.

morddwyd 10:32 14 Jul 2011

n47

Thanks a lot.

The old age pension (my contributions to which I have already paid tax on) is taxed enough as it is.

Any increase would simply see me sliding into debt instead of the government.

Aitchbee 12:57 14 Jul 2011

Robin Hood used to steal from the rich to give to the poor.He was and still is a hero in my books.I can't imagine Mr Cameron in those 'Errol Flynn' tight lincoln green tights though.

interzone55 13:18 14 Jul 2011

I'd love to know where the Daily Mail gets their numbers from, the UK national debt is less than half the figure they're trotting out.

I just don't understand why people buy that rag...

Forum Editor 17:59 14 Jul 2011

"Robin Hood used to steal from the rich to give to the poor."

Actually, there's no historic record of a Robin Hood ever setting foot near Sherwood forest, or stealing from the rich to give to the poor.

It's all a romantic myth.

Forum Editor 18:05 14 Jul 2011

"I just don't understand why people buy that rag..."

They buy it because they enjoy reading it, which is just about the best reason possible.

It's fashionable to denigrate the Daily Mail, and I'm certainly not about to champion the quality of its hard news journalism, but it would be silly to dismiss it as just a 'rag'. It provides a huge number of people with a good deal of enjoyment.

john bunyan 18:16 14 Jul 2011

I wonder which newspaper alan 14 reads? I read the Mail, mainly because I like the various puzzles!! Also because its views and reportage are , I find, not too bad. Quinten Letts is excellent on his Parliamentary reports and on his theatre criticism. Every newspaper has some mavericks, but readers soon learn to filter out the extremists.

oresome 20:59 14 Jul 2011

"I'd love to know where the Daily Mail gets their numbers from"

The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) which was created in 2010 to provide independent and authoritative analysis of the UK’s public finances.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone