Printer dilemma

mosie 22:28 29 Nov 2004

I have had my faithful Brother Hl-1250 printer for 4 years. The toner and the drum now both need replacing. To buy these both will cost the guts of £200. Looking across the web retailers I can pick up a brand new printer for half this cost. Do you simply throw a perfectly good printer away when the consumables are finished and buy a new printer at a fraction of the cost?

Mosie

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:10 29 Nov 2004

Not with companies like click here

G

spuds 23:12 29 Nov 2004

If you have a Cartridge World near to you, then I would suggest that you have a chat with them.They usually offer a complete refurbishment for a reasonable price click here

If you find a suitable replacement printer, then check on the toner content,as some toner cartridges supplied with new printer only contain a trial amount of powder.

Pesala 23:13 29 Nov 2004

Unfortunately, modern peripherals and PCs change too fast to be worth repairing for more than a couple of years. Four years service is not bad. I found the same when my Epson EPL5500 packed up. A new EPL5900 printer was less than a repair, twice as fast as the old one, twice the resolution, and cheaper. There are some charities that recycle old stuff in third world countries, but I doubt if they could use a non-working laser printer.

If you want cheap running costs, consider a Kyocera printer. click here (Kyocera Mita FS 1020D - Printer - B/W - duplex - laser - Legal, A4 - 1800 dpi x 600 dpi - up to 20 ppm - capacity: 300 sheets - parallel, USB £219 including VAT) Samsung are also said to be excellent. I use toner refills from click here for my Epson.

It just doesn't make sense to spend £200 on a repair.

mosie 23:44 29 Nov 2004

thanks to all that replied.... :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?