Prince Harry in Afghanistan.

Noels 17:50 28 Feb 2008

Well done Prince Harry!
I wonder where the Blair boys are?

Forum Editor 18:02 28 Feb 2008

"Prince Harry has been fighting the Taleban on the front line in Afghanistan."

Harry says:

"I haven't really had a shower for four days, I haven't washed my clothes for a week. It's very nice to be sort of a normal person for once, I think it's about as normal as I'm going to get."

Not had a shower for four days? Crikey, I didn't know it was so awful at the front line. As for the clothes washing, I wonder if he ever washes his own.

Sorry, but this is just awful, it's royalty pretending to be rough, tough, and just like us, when we all know that they are not remotely like us, and never will be if they have anything to do with it. Ten weeks at the front line in Afghanistan, no doubt watched closely every second, does not qualify as a rite of passage for a prince in my book. It's an out and out PR exercise, and an attempt to give a young man a sense of purpose in life.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:10 28 Feb 2008

He has a bodyguard of Ghurkas...may one presume that all troops have the same aid?........worst ever attempt at publicity.

G

Bingalau 18:15 28 Feb 2008

He should be safe enough then because the Ghurkas have a bodyguard of Royal Marines. A sort of double wrapping.

Noels 18:23 28 Feb 2008

I wonder how old you are?
I had to do my National Service in the Mid-East in the early 50's Egypt Iraq and Jordan. It was interesting! but primative.
Please don't put down a young man who wants to have a go when so many youngsters only opt out.
Anyway whats wrong with the Ghurkas?
Regards
Noels

pc613 18:24 28 Feb 2008

You know as soon as this news broke I said to myself "It wont be long before the anti royals start bad mouthing his tour over there".

Glad to know this old cynic inside me was right again.

Well done Harry and shame on the hack who put our troops lives in even more danger just for his five minutes of fame

Clapton is God 18:25 28 Feb 2008

The news was leaked by an American website.

Now the Prince and ALL his men are bullet magnets.

Well done Yanks - again.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:33 28 Feb 2008

'You know as soon as this news broke I said to myself "It wont be long before the anti royals start bad mouthing his tour over there' with a 'bodyguard' of Ghurkas glad to see the old realist inside me was right again.

G

Forum Editor 18:34 28 Feb 2008

with my reaction to this news, but for your information I lived on RAF bases for most of my young life, and I know a little about National Service.

As for "...a young man who wants to have a go when so many youngsters only opt out." I'm almost lost for words. Harry may be a perfectly likeable chap, but he's also a very rich, largely idle young man who will never have to do a stroke of real work for the rest of his life. His military service is a royal convention, and his apparent enthusiasm for action may be helped along somewhat by the knowledge that under no circumstances is he ever likely to be asked to risk life and limb - he's playing at being a soldier without taking the risks that other soldiers have to take. To be fair to him, it's probably not his choice, it's decreed from on high.

I have no personal grudge against Harry - I'm sure he thinks he's doing something worthwhile - my beef is with the people who insult my intelligence by expecting me to swallow "Harry has been fighting the Taleban".

Clapton is God 18:35 28 Feb 2008

FYI Bingalau is a former Bootneck

rossgolf 18:36 28 Feb 2008

dont you think he will be a victim of kidnapping and torture by extremeists and terrorists?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone