The Pressure Cooker Generation -Fact or Fiction?.

spuds 20:18 20 Jan 2014
Answered

Earlier today I obtained a copy of the Metro newspaper, and the front line heading was printed and titled 'The pressurecooker generation'.

In that article it went onto say that a poll of 2000 participants aged between 11 and 25 was conducted by YoungMinds. There would appear to be a Mental Health 'timebomb' ticking away with the younger generation due to the pressures that they are meeting.

Lucie Russel, the charity's director of campaigns, said " Every day, we hear about the unprecedented toxic climate children and young people face in a 24/7 online culture where they can never switch off. We are sitting on a mental health timebomb".

What's your views and opinions. Are the younger generation suffering more nowadays from bullying, sexual pressures, school stress, unemployment and lack of access to help and advice, that the younger generations of pre 1990's?.

Aitchbee 20:46 20 Jan 2014

Some people like to be stressed out ... I'm on my 4th pressure cooker ... full steam ahead ... no worries.

Aitchbee 20:52 20 Jan 2014

spuds, it's nothing new.

click here

Forum Editor 08:21 21 Jan 2014

Like many parents I saw my children coming under increasing pressures of one kind or another as they grew up, and now that they are adults with mortgages and careers I see them under even greater pressures than I was at their age.

It's the way the world is nowadays however, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

morddwyd 09:30 21 Jan 2014

I think the pressures are much greater now because, paradoxically, the opportunities are less, and have to be fought for.

When I took the 11+, known locally as The Scholarship, we were simply in class one one ,morning and the papers were given out, it was just another "test" to us.

If you passed you went to Grammar school, if not to a simple secondary school, where the emphasis was more on vocational stuff.

A very small percentage went on to university, the rest went on to tech or apprenticeship or both (girls went to commercial college.

There was never any question that you would get a job, normally in whatever field you wanted.

It was the girls who faced the pressure, as getting a husband with good prospects was the sum of all they could expect back then. Any girl who was not already going out with a potential husband by the age of 19 was regarded as a bit of a flibbertigibbet!

Life was a lot simpler then, though I doubt the girls would agree!

spuds 12:29 21 Jan 2014

morddwyd

I also recall the '11 plus' and the way the education systems were run then.

But regarding jobs, I found that there were opportunities for employment, with the rebuilding of the UK after the war years. Most industries for the 'working class', was one of father followed son, daughter followed mother or other family member's into a work pattern, which most people may have carried throughout their 'working' life. I also recall, possibly in the 1960's, when people were able to work out of one job in the morning, and into another the same afternoon.

When the likes of knitwear, boot and shoe, plus heavy engineering left our shores, I found that most younger people were becoming more reliant on 'white collar' work, and perhaps IT in much later years?.

woodchip 14:00 21 Jan 2014

A lot of it is Self inflicted like Cyber Bullying Visiting same site time after time when they know what will happen

woodchip 21:23 21 Jan 2014

I did not say it was all Self Inflicted, but some is

oresome 19:04 22 Jan 2014

I agree that there is more pressure on youngsters now.

Much of it is brought about by clever marketing promoting needless consumerism and the feeling instilled that you are missing out if you don't have the latest gizmo, wear the latest fashion or hang out at the place to be seen .

When I was young, there wasn't the number of channels available to indoctrinate the impressionable mind.

Aitchbee 19:32 22 Jan 2014

spider9 - I disagree; the only persons to blame for spending their own money on 'must-have' consumer items are the same gullible persons who have been brainwashed by the 'big-boys' of the advertising business.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?