Prehensile Toes

morddwyd 21:07 29 Apr 2012

When I dropped something on the floor of the bedroom this morning I picked it up, as I often do, with my toes.

This sent my wife, as it has always done since she first saw it on our honeymoon fifty odd years ago, into paroxysms of mirth, since she regards it as some sort of pre-Neolithic gene.

My question is this, am I that unusual, or do others pick things up with their toes?

I don't mean can you do it, or do you do it as party trick, nor am I talking about house bricks or 14lb sledge hammers, but do you regularly, as a matter of routine, without even thinking about it, pick up things like socks, hankies, pens etc. with your feet in the bedroom, bathroom on the beach or anywhere else where you have bare feet?

Aitchbee 21:25 29 Apr 2012

morddwyd - I find it difficult to pick things up. Full stop. But I've got myself a little grabber device on the end of a stick which is quite a boon.

Aitchbee 21:45 29 Apr 2012

...this is for you morrdwyd...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFcxqFPaURI

I hope you have a laugh.

Mr Mistoffelees 22:29 29 Apr 2012

I pick things up with my toes very occasionally but not routinely.

Brumas 22:47 29 Apr 2012

I too have prehensile toes and do exactly the same as you and Fran reacts just like your wife - I thought I was unique!

ams4127 22:59 29 Apr 2012

Oh my Lordy! PCA seems to have been overtaken by a family of apes! Prehensile toes indeed.

Chegs ®™ 05:19 30 Apr 2012

My toes are far too stubby to enable me picking anything up,but I can grip things quite firmly between my feet(including a house brick or sledgehammer and you'd be hard pressed to get me to release it)No idea if there's a particular word for it other than strength.

wiz-king 08:52 30 Apr 2012

Guilty as charged. Unfortunately the knees don't work so well so I cant get my foot up to table level very easily now.

BT 09:08 30 Apr 2012

I can do it but its transferring them to my hand afterwards that's the problem!

Pine Man 11:27 30 Apr 2012

I have managed to pick up athletes foot several times:-(

lotvic 13:03 30 Apr 2012

I do sometimes, saves bending down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone