Power to the people?

spuds 13:40 21 Oct 2010

Over the last few years we have been hearing a lot about more power to the people, in various forms.

Should we elect our Lord Mayors (already being trailed), Chief Constables, Fire Chiefs and other heads of public establishments, perhaps in a similar way to the USA?.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:58 21 Oct 2010

Utter waste of time. Our last council election had a turn out of less than 24%. People are generally not interested in anything much more than 200 yards from their dwelling.

G

Kevscar1 14:05 21 Oct 2010

So you could end up with a Chief Constable who's never been in a Police Force. It was bad enough when they strted letting Uni Grads come in as Inspector.

Forum Editor 18:21 21 Oct 2010

GANDALF <|:-)>'s take on the apathetic attitude of so many people in our society accords with mine.

I can't see too many people making the effort to walk up the road to vote for a new Chief Fire Officer.

Forum Editor 18:25 21 Oct 2010

Changing peoples' attitude from 'Someone should do something' to 'We have to do something' will require a lot more than a few stirring speeches from a new and enthusiastic Prime Minister.

I confidently predict that five years from now we'll be asking 'what happened to all that talk of The Big Society?'

jakimo 18:38 21 Oct 2010

'It was bad enough when they strted letting Uni Grads come in as Inspector.'

Ive recently crossed the path of one of this variety,..what a xxxxx!

Diemmess 18:41 21 Oct 2010

Virtually no inhabitants bother to attend any Parish Council Meeting in this village.

Several years ago an opportunity to trigger the build of a new village hall depended on a grant from the Parish Council which meant on average £30 on the total Council Tax each year for a max. of seven years.

Well over 200 people packed out the old building and spread outside. Fortunately the vast majority endorsed the deal.

finerty 14:47 22 Oct 2010

Power to the people i would nominate Del boy and Rodney as batman and robin.

finerty 14:47 22 Oct 2010

Power to the people i would nominate Del boy and Rodney as batman and robin.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:28 22 Oct 2010

Surely that was

Citizen Smith

:0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone